Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel advice sought.  (Read 3860 times)

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Polytunnel advice sought.
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:35:52 pm »
Hi. We have won a long and bitter battle  ;D with the Council to put a polytunnel on our land.
We're now looking around to find the best value. I know Northern and First Tunnels have been mentioned on other threads as good value. Any others?
This will be on an open windy site and the person I spoke to at First tunnels suggested base rails rather than trenching to give it extra strength. Is this necessary?
It's a big investment so I want to get it right but also don't want to spend hard-earned cash on anything that's not strictly necessary.
All advice/comments gratefully received.
Thanks
Katie.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
Re: Polytunnel advice sought.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 07:07:18 pm »
we went with 1st tunnels and with the base rails. I mostly did this out of lazyness (didn't want to dig 2 25ft trenches) but comparing ours to some of our neighbours, who trenched their ones in, ours is much taughter. We went for ally base rails, but if I were doing it again, I'd go for timber.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:15:06 pm »
we went with 1st tunnels and base plates (similar lazy reasons)
we had timber..... with no problem
Mx

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:30 pm »
Anyone know who might put a new skin on my tunnel< its 54 feet long and 24 ft wide, Somerset
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »
We got the ally snap shut rails from first tunnels. We had to dig our polytunnel in a bl**dy big hole to shelter it and got down to bedrock so a concrete base and ally rails was our option. You can get your plastic really tight with them and retighten again to a certain degree. If you have a windy site get the staging which acts as butresses on the inside, crop bars and storm braces. Happy growing, oh and get the biggest  and high sided one you can!

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:40 pm »
We went with First Tunnels and used the wooden base rails and the hoops are set in 450mm of concrete, last year it stood up to 85mph winds. and it is a huge single tunnel 96ft x 30ft.  the service from 1st tunnels is second to none and if they send the wrong pieces or not enough they get the problem solved within 24hrs we will use again for our next tunnel. But please make sure you order the storm braces for a windy site they are a must.
Pigs are human tooo

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:54:26 pm »
Thanks everyone, that's very useful. I was very impressed with the girl I spoke to at First Tunnels. Very friendly and helpful. It'll just be bread and jam for us for a while....

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 05:26:38 pm »
Give McGreagor a call - we have one of their tunnels and it is excellent
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:23:02 pm »
You need to put the skin on during a very hot and windless day -don't forget the heat insulating foam on the frame.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS