Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame Hen  (Read 3113 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Lame Hen
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:49:56 am »
One of my Sussex hens is lame and has been for the past few days, I have checked the leg and can see nothing wrong, so i assume she may have pulled it? I am keeping her in a wire cage during the day in the warm and she is eating and drinking, can I give her the pain killer I give to the dogs? excuse the spelling but it is Metacam? I would like to be sure she is comfortable.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Lame Hen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:16:44 am »
Not sure about metacam as there's a separate one for dogs and cats - it may just be the dosage though, can't check just now as I don't have any of the cat one at the moment.  Try googling a question.  Assume you've checked for bumble foot?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:54:54 am »
Bumble foot as Doganjo has said or maybe a strain. Not sure about metacam or the dosage.

My daughter bought a chicken magazine at the weekend and there was an article in there about lameness in hens and it said that it could be caused by worm burden .... could even produce Marek's type symptoms. I ve never heard of this before but a vet had commented on the article advising on how to worm so assume it maybe true.  ???  Worth a try if symptoms persist and there is nothing obvious?

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »
When I have had hens injured by a cockerel, some of them lame it has taken about 10 days for them to recover. yes, keep her in, but give her time to recover outside on her own to try and get that leg moving.  I'd check with the vet re painkillers. I found an aspirin dosage on t'internet once. Seemed the ok.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »
I'd go with metacam rather than aspirin as some animals seem to have a funny reaction to the latter.

Have you wormed them recently?

Keeping her warm and quiet is probably the best plan. Too much in the way of painkillers, when animals damage themselves, just encourages them to run around and make it worse. Pain is the body's way of saying 'enough already, sit still while I mend'  :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »
It's ducks that go off their legs with a worm burden.

Metacam anti-inflammatory has changed its name to something similar, but its the dogs and cats version that's used for poultry in the same weight dosage as for cats.

Half an Asprin has worked wonders for our birds on occasions. But only one dose in a month. Vet suggested it.

Agree bumble foot is more likely then leg sprain, but its a fairly close run thing in our experience - possible 2:1.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 07:40:37 pm »
Mmmm .... I'd never heard of chickens going lame with a worm burden but there is an article on just that and a comment from a vet  ??? .

Will ask my vet about that one next time I have the pleasure of visiting.  :-J

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS