Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Fencing for pigs  (Read 3793 times)

sanman

• Joined May 2009
Electric Fencing for pigs
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:35:54 pm »
I would really like to use electric fencing for pigs.  I have lots of grazing available for them and it would be much easier and less costly to use an electric fence.  However some of the group who are working with me on the community smallholding we are developing have been told that electric fencing is inadequate and the pigs will either force their way through it or bury the bottom strand.

Any advice would be appreciated!

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
Re: Electric Fencing for pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:43:14 pm »
Electric fencing is fine for pigs. We use 4 strands of 2mm high tensile wire, it's as cheap as chips. You can get a 200m roll for about a £10.

We have ours set out, 1st strand 4inches of the floor, second strand 10inches, 3rd 15inches and the 4th 20-25inches.

We have ours running off the mains so twigs and grass touching it causing earths dont affect the effectivness. At our old farm we used electric with batteries, there OK if you can guarantee no earth faults, the battery goes flat pretty quick otherwise.

Also pigs are very clever, If the battery is dead they will pretty soon cotton on and be away. They stand and listen for the click, when they dont here one they shuv each other into to test it!

We used to get about 5 days power from one battery, it can become a bit teadious swapping and charging all the time.

Good luck anyway!

Paid

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:31:41 pm »
I use a cheap battery run 12v electric fence, 2 strands of tape/wire 1   9" the next at 12" and this works fine. Haven't had an escape.
An old tractor battery last about 4 weeks before if needs a recharge.

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:03 am »
Billyberridge clearly has cleverer pigs than I do. Once mine are trained to the fence I can turn the power off as they will not cross the fence line even if I take the fence away. I use just two strands of electric tape and I have had no escapes at all. Every couple of weeks I strim the grass below the lowest strand to avoid contact. My battery lasts about 6 weeks before it needs recharging.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:14:01 am »
Like B.B I have the odd one who does know if the fence is off, and regularly tests it by throwing her companion onto the fence.  Cognitive thinking?

Mostly once they are around 16 weeks old they seem to have a very real respect for the fences. 

The downside is trying to get them out when wanting to take them to slaughter.  Sometimes takes a lot of patience to get them over the imaginary line.

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:24 pm »
Quite right HM. Eventually the only way I could do it was to drop the trailer ramp over the fence.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:00:14 pm »
I agree its far easier to untie the fence and back the trailer over the.. "line"!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:05:33 am »
Now that is just too easy, its not right unless you spend hours in the boiling sun/freezing wind/pouring rain trying to coax a pig out of its field - thats just not cricket!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS