Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Still no season  (Read 9826 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Still no season
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:51:53 am »
Should I be worried?  Have I missed it?  :-\

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Still no season
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:55:38 am »
Mine haven't either. And I certainly couldn't miss mine!

Maybe it's the rotten weather or something?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:21:11 am »
Should I be worried?  Have I missed it?  :-\

It's possible you have missed it, but not definite.

What age is your goat? Did she kid this year? Is this the one who is still suckling kids? Where do you live? Do you leave a light on in your goatshed?

There are loads of factors that can influence them coming into season.

Beth

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:44 am »
Mine have all been in season and the ones not yet Billied are in season again at the moment.
I was told by someone thats big in the show world that putting them out on a cold frosty morning can bring them into season, not tried it myself but may be worth a try or can you get hold of a billy rag ?
Graham

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:44:56 am »
Mine not in either, but she was very late last year and into the new year - am assuming that if I take her to a billy she may weaken at the knees?  She hasn't seen a male so doesn't know they exist.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:05 am »
Mine not in either, but she was very late last year and into the new year - am assuming that if I take her to a billy she may weaken at the knees?  She hasn't seen a male so doesn't know they exist.
Snowdrop was evil to william when we first got him and would try and bite him every time she got a chance, when she came into season she jumped over 2 pen fences to get to him  ::) then once she was mated there was no way we could keep her in her pen
Graham

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:42:41 am »
Whilst Puffin is screaming the place down, Savannah's seasons are easily missed. Apart from I noticed some obvious 'changes' in her lady area when I went to milk her last week, otherwise I'd have missed hers. Not that we are mating them this year anyway so its all quite relaxed - yay!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:45:13 am »
 :wave: do you have a billy on site ? if not you could try a billy rag
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:48:16 am »
Ashia is wearing a billy collar that the breeder gave me, but other than stinking the place out she looks 'normal'.  She has never had kids but her pal, Simone, has had kids and is 'normal' too :\

They go outside in the paddock every morning; the rest of the time they have a concrete run with a shed in it and they come and go as they please.  Surely they can't BOTH be that quiet?!  Or will the milker not come into season? (she's 2.5)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:49:55 am »
Just been to look at her (well, I sent OH) and he said she is a bit swollen "down there" more than Simone anyway.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 11:59:56 am »
keep a eye on her.

are you having a vist from a male or is she visiting him ? when shes ready.

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »
My girls started standing by the gate staring at the boys barn and flagging their tails after that sharp frost last week...always trust a good frost to bring them on! ;D 

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 02:20:27 pm »
We're taking her to the billy kja.  I hope  :fc: (meaning I hope she comes in season!)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 11:13:41 pm »
Pom has only been in season once and that was only a week ago.  We want to mate her this year so, typically, she is due again the weekend we are away.  Cloud, at nearly nine months hasn't shown any signs yet.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 12:24:34 pm »
Mine haven't had a clear season yet - but they were the same last year until end of November when both came in loud and clear on the same day!  I'm only planning to mate one this year but she'll probably be the one who isn't obvious...  Don't mind if I have to wait a while as I don't take them to shows so late kids are easier for me, no worries about cold nights etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS