Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dahlias put away until next year  (Read 1681 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Dahlias put away until next year
« on: November 02, 2012, 04:09:18 pm »
I toyed with the idea as to whether I would dig them up and store them or leave them in teh ground and hope the frost wouldn't kill them. Anyway - I have finally finished getting them out of the ground. I will need to get them out into the sun so the soil dries and I can knock it off. Then apparently I have to check ver two weeks to make sure there is no rot... and/or make sure they aren't getting too dry!!

I can't believe how much waste there was for the compost pile!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Dahlias put away until next year
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:51:59 pm »
That's a lot of digging  :relief:  guess you are further south than us, the ground is solid morning and early afternoon with frost,  and soggy in-between  ::)  Digging is almost impossible ( tho I did dig up my pepper plants from the poly two weeks ago to bring indoors and see if they would continue to next year  :fc: )

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:05:27 am »
Not had a hard frost yet. Windscreen has been frozen 5:30am but nothing too bad. The raised bed in the back paddock still has dahlias flowering away enjoying whats left of the sun during most days.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14:25 am »
Hit a high of 6c today  :cold: one minute everything was blooming. The next, everything frozen and withering  :huff: thought I could leave the baby cucumbers a bit longer but had to pick them last week as the plants have withered in the poly and the cucumbers were thinking about withering ( they are only 2-3 inches and pale but still taste fine )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS