Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eccles Cakes  (Read 5091 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
Eccles Cakes
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:03:30 am »
Hi all, can anyone help me please, I want to find either a recipe or supplier for the old fashioned Eccles Cakes, I seem to remember them being made up with all the leftover cakes, the cakes you buy these days purporting to be an  Eccles are nowhere near the mark, your help would be appreciated. (no disrespect intended to any bakers in Eccles)
Many thanks

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Eccles Cakes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:33:18 am »
I've never heard of Eccles cakes made up from leftovers - to me the "real" ones are the ones that are basically currants in a thin, buttery pastry (not the awful sweet stuff that's some raisins in a lot of puff pastry!). I'm somewhat interested in the history of food; somewhere in this house is a book on English food over the last 500 years - if only I could find that book! It's even got a recipe for cooking peacock; I'm sure if there's anything on "proper" Eccles cakes, it's likely to be in there. (Project for the day - check my book boxes. )

I do love oldfashioned bread pudding, though - the stodgy type eaten cold, and definitely using leftover bread and cake... Not using white, crustless bread in dainty dishes, as served by fancy restaurants! ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:29 am »

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:24:21 am »
Thanks everybody, gonna give them a try,

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »
They are the ones I know, but none of them uses leftovers!

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thanks again everyone, I must have been mistaken regarding being made with the leftover cakes Ina

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »
I remember making Eccles cakes at school, many years ago. If I can find some currants, (very rare and expensive in France) I may have to have another go!
I do make a mean bread pudding though, very thick, fruity and plumptious!!!

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »
Today I found something that might interest you... The book is "Food in England", I'd looked for a recipe for Eccles cakes in it before, but they don't have one. However, under "Plum Pudding Cold Remains (if any; four local methods)" it mentions this:

"Lancashire sensibly uses the pudding, crumbled up with a little extra brandy, to fill a pastry case. This is then turned over, and rolled lightly, and slits cut on top (like an Eccles cake)."

Maybe that's where the idea of Eccles cake with leftovers comes from? Sounds like a good idea! (Although, as they say in the heading... remains - if any!)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:48:56 pm »
thanks Ina, have found some in Sainsbury` boxed as genuine Eccles cakes, they taste pretty good too although a bit on the small side

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:11:50 pm »
Are they the ones that come in packs of four, full of currants and not much else? I love those...

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »
thats the ones Ina, thanks for your response, going to have to keep looking

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS