Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A Lightbulb Moment!  (Read 2499 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
A Lightbulb Moment!
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:05:17 pm »
Had one of those moments on Monday, where the lightbulb just suddenly goes on in your head, and solves the issue.

We are a bit tight on space just now, due (well really we have too many goats- I should be selling a milker*) to a combination of things, including waiting on my sister's goat shed being ready so their 5goats will move out. Problem was compounded when my mother decided she wanted to borrow a stud billy as well as having our two male kids.

With the borrowed male, we couldn't move the male kids out of the, increasingly muddy, paddock and pig shed because he was in their shed.

Walked out of the goat shed on Monday, and glanced back at the milking pen as I went- and it connected.

As we are now only milking 2.5 goats, why do we have a whole pen set aside for milking in? If we moved the milking bench and milking machine into the passageway, that created another pen so the male kids could be moved out of their wet muddy field.

It was one thing having a pen for milking when we were milking 8/9 goats, but didn't really have the need for it.

So Tuesday shifted everything round, including the goats.

Result- 2 male kids with lovely dry feet instead of being covered in mud! Why didn't I think of that 2 weeks ago?

Beth

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: A Lightbulb Moment!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:07:34 pm »
Ha, well done  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:09:15 pm »
 :idea: good thinking  :thumbsup:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:51 pm »
its cos the last 2 weeks you were busy at work  :excited: :excited: :excited:  your goat shed must smell extra good now!!!

how long till caramac is hurdle hopping to get to the girls???

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:13 pm »
Ah no Karamac (he's one of the K's) and Glen are out in the wooden shed, and we have even smellier Conrad in the shed :-(

Beth

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »
oops sorry for the K confusion...

wow that must be bad with the big boy in there!!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 08:19:44 pm »
Beth - can you come and sort my shed out PLEASE.... ;)  My BT wether kid is getting really pushy with the female kids in his pen... but no other pen available for him  :thinking: .... hmmm, my daughter just suggested goat for Xmas dinner   :idea: ....

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 09:09:24 pm »
Lol, Anke you would be surprised at how many pens I can fit into a shed. Just when my OH and my mother think the shed is full, I can reshuffle and fit in some more pens!

The roast goat thought is interesting though....  :eyelashes:

Incidentally, my * in my initial post...

*Anglo-Nubian milker who really ought to be for sale. Has been dried off and mated, so is due to kid in March. Nice goat, shown twice this year, won second both times and 1 res BCC. Keeping her (very nice) female kid from this year in the herd. Only for sale because we really should cut down the numbers..... Located central Scotland- could possibly be persuaded to part with a companion for her as well.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 10:51:37 pm »
Well done for your brainwave.  Better late than never.   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS