Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Private water supply  (Read 14239 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Private water supply
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »
None, other than I think you're right, I'd be more likely to buy if I knew what those sort of things would cost  :thumbsup:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 07:43:34 pm »
Sorry Doganjo - the borehole was drilled when we got the place but after that our quotes were in the reagion of £3500-£4500 to get it all up and running and we did DIY for £1500 ball park with a few sleepless night if it would work!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:38 pm »
I don't need water - kept a wayleave on the house I built - got 600 gallons an hour! ::)  But it needs to be piped about 300 yards.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 10:51:39 am »
I have mains water for the house but collect water from the barn roof for livestock and polytunnel irrigation.  The previous owner put in a large ex oil tank,  it holds several thousand litres,  but I'd like to expand the capacity a lot by plumbing in black IBC containers.

IBC hold 1000 litres each and cost about £50,  so I'm thinking I could tuck 10 behind the barn and just link them together with hose.

Has anybody else done this ?  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 01:03:26 pm »
Your PH isn't particularly low. We have a problem with low PH and it's effect is not on us but equipment in the house. According to a friend who is a heating engineer low PH wrecks boilers and washing machines etc as it corrodes the parts really quickly.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 01:36:01 pm »
Yes, apparently it affects anything copper very badly.  When this place was renovated they used mostly plastic pipes but I have just had a new (very expensive) kettle tap installed and that has a copper inside.
We are going to get a special filter that needs to be filled with crystal every six months.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS