Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leg rings  (Read 5147 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Leg rings
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:47:07 pm »
I don't know that I like leg ring, but I don't know much about them. Do chickens get used to them quickly? Only asking in case my chicken have to go and live with somebody else's chicken for a short amount of time & I would really like to be able to I.D my girl from the others with no doubt in my mind. so when I can get them back I wouldn't walk off with someone's prize birdie by mistake :innocent: .
Basically I don't want to stress my girls any more than needed with a move and jewellery . So if they get used to leg ring quickly. Can anyone recommend what sort? Hopefully I will not need them.
( for those who have not read my post in members only, I'm very sorry this post must sound like compleat gibberish  ::) )

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Leg rings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 02:17:54 pm »
Bert,
I can't help in relation to chickens but my dad kept canaries for 30 years. They all had leg rings. It didn't seem to make any difference to them.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:54 pm »
I don't think they bother about them too much. I ring the cockerels at a day old, so's I know who's who. Just gotta keep an eye on them and increase the size of them as they grow - obviously not an issue if they're adult. I use the flat strap ones, ie they're not closed, but not the ones that look like springs. Think I got them from Ascott

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:49 pm »
I use both the spring ones and the flat ones. My lot don't mind at all. I do have to remove and put bigger ones on as they grow but they really don't mind the jewellery  :D
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 04:12:45 pm »
we use colour coded leg rings from Regency Poultry, they go on the day they arrive and then we can tell the age/batch of each chicken. We use the plastic coil ones and once you get the knack of putting on the 1st on they are easy and the chickens don't mind them at all
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 06:32:44 pm »
I, too kept roller canaries and put rings on them when first hatched. I've never ringed (rang?) chickens and imagine they would be the same i.e. ringed when small chicks otherwise you wouldn't get the ring on.
I may be wrong, I often am ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:26:16 pm »
What thoughts do you have on where to go?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »
The rings are a continuous strip that wraps round on itself - a bit like those 'snap bracelets' that were popular with kids some time back  :D

So you can ring any age bird with the right size, cos it just wraps round their leg.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »
Thanks for all the help  :thumbsup:
Dose anyone know what size back rocks are going to need? Are they classed as a heavy breed? Or should I just measure one of my girls?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:15:45 pm »
I think Black Rocks are nearer a heavy breed than a lightweight, mine were nearer my Wyandottes than my Cream Legbars for example.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 06:12:44 pm »
Hi Bert. Ours carry two rings. one white and the other bright green. Not bothered at all. Selecting the rings is a pain though to get the correct size -probably 14mm for your Blackrocks. We use both the clip type, which are quite secure but have no adjustment but don't get wrapped up in their claws, and the coiled strip type (not the one that looks like a spring) which caters for tightness by giving a bit but tends to get caught up in their claws and can slip and damage their feet. The latter can also be pulled off, which is good if they get it wrapped up against something. On balance prefer the latter. Both have flat surfaces than can be written on -which is why they have them, for their names and export numbers.

Size varies bird to bird so you need to buy a variety.

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 10:26:35 am »
I use the coil/spring type leg ring. A different colour for each year so that I know how old my birds are.
They don't seem to notice them at all and within a couple of seconds they are twisted on and the bird seems none the wiser.

I have noticed in a couple of the previous posts that posters have written "not the spring type"?.  Is there a reason why you do not use them?.  I have only started using them this year and haven't noticed any issues, but would be interested to hear if they are a big no-no.

Steph
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 06:13:48 am »
Hi Steph. We don't use the spring type as it is prone to snagging and won't pull off. There is a greater risk of leg injury with them, but there is a risk attached to all leg rings. You can't write on the spring type either of course.

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 08:52:57 am »
Thanks Chris,

I hadnt thought of that potential problem.  They seemed good as I thought they would expand easily if the bird grew.  but will have a look about at different types for 2013 batch of birds.

Thanks again
Steph
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS