Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taking sponges out early  (Read 5752 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
Taking sponges out early
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:21:38 pm »
Hi Everyone,

We had our ewes sponged on the 22nd October, so we should be taking them out on the 5th November however as it is getting darker earlier and I have a full time job I wont be able to take them out on the 5th would it effect the ewes if i took them out a day early and put them to the ram.

Many thanks. :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Taking sponges out early
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:13:40 am »
Sorry J&G, no idea, never done this with sheep.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:09:10 am »
Sponges need to be in for 12 - 14 days. If you have calculated your dates based on the sponges being in for 14 days, then the answer is no, it won't matter if you take then out a day early. If you have budgeted to have the sponges in for 12 days, then yes, it will matter.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

crazy_bull

• Joined May 2012
  • Huntingdon
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:30:08 pm »
I took the sponges out on day 12 and dosed with 2.25ml of PMSG, turned Rams out 48hr later, at a ratio of 6 Ewes to 1 Ram within 2 hrs all had been covered bar 1 (the one that had lost it's sponge) we have a sweeper ram in with them at the moment and he's cleared up the straggler, so far none have repeated but this is the week they might.

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »
12-14 days and a shot of pmsg, so you'll be fine

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 01:57:45 pm »
I'm still quite new to sheep. Silly question but what are the sponges for?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:00:24 pm »
They synchronise the sheeps' cycles so that, with the injection, they are all tupped promptly and you can have a tight lambing.

I left it too late to do it this year, when my neighbour left me the info it said have a tup yon side of a stock fence for three weeks, then the sponges for two weeks, plus the jag. I didn't start in time, but I am going to look into it for next year cos I really need lambing within a specific fortnight.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:09:24 pm »
Ah I see, I guess it is pricey/tricky for a newbie but would be great to have a tighter lambing schedule as ours dragged out over 2 months this spring. Bernard was lazy!

crazy_bull

• Joined May 2012
  • Huntingdon
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »
Ah I see, I guess it is pricey/tricky for a newbie but would be great to have a tighter lambing schedule as ours dragged out over 2 months this spring. Bernard was lazy!

Nope dead easy if you're confident with sheep handling, cost is about £3/head i think, all our 22 Ewes got done and dusted in 2.5hrs after we put 4 rams in with them! All bar one who had lost her sponge, she got covered 10days later, none have re-mated so hopefully a very tight lambing on March 9th!!!

C B

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 10:04:49 am »
Yikes, you'll be busy, hope you've got plenty of hurdles!
Hope it all goes well.  :fc:

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »
I sponge my 90 ewes with decent results. I run a tup to 10-12 ewes so I get about a quarter returning to the second cycle bt that doesn't bother me because it is still a tight lambing pattern. It is best to leave the ram out from amoung the ewes for 12-24 hours after pulling the sponges to inprove the pattern. If mating throughout october or the first 2 weeks in november there shouldn't be a need to use the pmsg but if yo are trying to lamb either early or late then the pmsg can be a useful way of improving the overall lambing percentage.

It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS