Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drawing blood samples  (Read 2525 times)

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
Drawing blood samples
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:14:21 am »
Hi all, does one legally need to have some kind of license to draw a blood sample? Or is it just that the AHVLA won't process a sample if you don't have one?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Drawing blood samples
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:36:57 am »
I don't think you need a licence, but it might depend on why you are taking the sample?!?!

Most people wouldn't have any need to take a blood sample- can I ask why you wouldn't want a vet to do it? Goats aren't the easiest animals to take blood from.

For example, CAE testing is a blood sample that must be drawn by a vet. And, even you are a vet, you aren't allowed to do blood sampling for CAE testing of your own animals.

Beth

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:59:24 am »
For example, CAE testing is a blood sample that must be drawn by a vet. And, even you are a vet, you aren't allowed to do blood sampling for CAE testing of your own animals.

Thanks Beth. Pregnancy testing comes to mind, and CAEV if you don't need certification. In other words, of course you cant get CAEV certification by testing your own animals, but you might want to know your own animals' status etc.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:59:24 am »
CAE bloods cannot be sent for analysis unless done by a VET.      I also have a feeling....but not certain....that is is illegal for anybody other than a VET to take blood from a vein.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:37 am »
I don't know that it is illegal, if it is it would be difficult to police or enforce. I would have thought the bigger difficultly would be getting hold of the sample bottles... Not sure if they are easy to get hold.

Not sure if everyone knew, but you're not supposed to even get a member of your family (if they are a vet) to do your CAE testing. Asked about that one a few years ago as my cousin is a practicing vet.

Beth

Joseph

• Joined Oct 2011
    • Rosemore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »
I have found the relevant legislation, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/6/article/3/made

So it is forbidden under the veterinary surgeons 1966 act. The explanatory note to this exemption reads:
"In the case of farm animals the blood must be taken under the general direction of a qualified person if the sampler has been certified as proficient to take blood, or under direct personal supervision if he is undergoing instruction."

And even then only if for testing for infectious diseases. That's pretty stringent, in the USA taking blood is pretty much a part of goat husbandry.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:25:48 pm by Joseph »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »

Not sure if everyone knew, but you're not supposed to even get a member of your family (if they are a vet) to do your CAE testing. Asked about that one a few years ago as my cousin is a practicing vet.

Beth

Well that's scuppered my plan of supporting Eloise through Vet school when shes a bit older  ;)   Having seen the vet do our CAE tests, I really don't think I could take blood even if it was allowed  :-\  injections seem much easier. Then again I couldnt' finish my phlebotomy course as a nurse either, maybe its just me!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:58 am »
Last year the vet made a bit of a hash of one sample, this year, different vet, she took it so quick I was still waiting for it to fill and she'd done! The goats were very good, I hold them close to me with their heads up and turned towards me, makes the sample easier.

certainly with CAE testing and similar, I can imagine some unscrupulous breeders (yes, I'm sure there are some) could take from one they know is clear, instead of from one positive but worth showing or breeding from. Better to have an official stamp.
If you can take the goat to the vet it's much cheaper (however I did note the diffence of the cost on the certificate and the cost on the vets invoice, I thought naughty of the vet to add some to that as well as their 'consultation and blood sample' fee)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS