Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fighting Geese  (Read 1285 times)

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
Fighting Geese
« on: October 27, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »
We have four Embden geese i was told when i got them two girls and two boys. They have been together for two years. One of the geese is bullying one of the other geese. So much so that the poor thing spends his time outside of the group. I was told its likely to be two ganders with the dominant one pushing the weaker one out.

It's now getting quite bad for the bullied one.

I thought the solution would be to get some more females and split the group up, but I'm struggling to find any.

I think that I might have to give the bullied goose away, but any other suggestions? would be free to a good home if anyone is interested. We are in Strathaven South Lanarkshire?

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Re: Fighting Geese
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »
Hi,
It's horrible to see anything being bullied like that, geese seem to be funny about who they like and who they don't.
If you could keep them separate, could you not pair him up with one of the other geese you have, as they should be quite happy kept in pairs, you may have to swap the geese around to see which one likes him best.
Unless someone is looking for an embden gander, he could be quite difficult to rehome.
Good luck,
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS