Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lavender pekins?  (Read 2710 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
lavender pekins?
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:03:13 pm »
Anyone know much about them? Know they are small and docile but will they happily co-exist with hybrids etc or would I need to separate them? They look quite cute, not like my big brown bruisers!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: lavender pekins?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:52:50 pm »
Looks can be deceptive, some of the Pekin cocks can be savage! My mum breeds them and collecting eggs can be a dangerous occupation  :innocent:
We also have some pekins however who are quite docile......at the moment!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:42:56 pm »
will not be entertaining cocks of any feathered variety, chose my words carefully there  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:50:59 am »
We have various Pekins. They are happy wee things. My daughter has her own large pen with Salblepoots, Pekins , Silkies, and a few call ducks.. All get on very well.

I have a few Pekins in the growers shed  quite happily mixing with various large fowl . It's funny though but at night they all separate and form their own little breed groups.
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:59 am »
I had one lavender araucana chick hatch from a clutch of six , so bought two white pekins to keep her company. All three got along fine and intergrated well with the rest of the flock when  moved from an outbuilding to a coop outside . The pekin hen was and still is very friendly , but the cock was quite spiteful to  other younger chicks and had a go at my hand a few of times . Alas , he's no longer with us .     

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:02:53 am »
great thanks for all that  :thumbsup:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:17:46 am »
Hi  :wave:

We have lavender pekins and other colours as well as our hybrids and large pure breed hens. They are housed separately but free-range together. They all get along fine including the pekin cockerels. The hens and cockerels are fiesty little things but none of mine are aggressive. My daughter cuddles all, including the boys and 3 of our pekin cockerels have decided to live together in one coop - with no problems. Find them really amusing to have around and any visitors love them. Make good but small broodies - can't cover many eggs.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:09:14 pm »
Ichabod is my Lavender Pekin Cock and is the sweetest creature alive :love: :love: :love:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS