Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Black Ram CAN Jump??  (Read 3012 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Black Ram CAN Jump??
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:04:59 am »
 :wave:

It's me again  :excited:

This time more an observation than a question. 

We are just tracking back and fourth to our new house and twice we have found our Ram outside the fence.  This was a bit peculiar until we tried to catch him.  At this point he ran into the garden and jumped over the two foot privet hedge and two foot of stock fencing!  The hedge is about a foot wide.

:sheep: No one told me Black Sheep Can Jump! :sheep:

The long wool's the previous owner had would have been far to lazy to try it!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Black Ram CAN Jump??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:11:25 am »
2 foot of stockfencing - would that keep ANY sheep in? Even my Shetlands would just step over that...
Methinks you are doing some fencing this weekend? :-J
PS.: As far as I know privet is poisonous.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »
I have put sheep hurdle over the two low points.  I think the fence posts have fallen over, which has caused the three foot livestock fencing to collapse a bit.

Weirdly, the ram just seems to like his own space. Eating the grass along the other side of the fence and leaving the garden area alone!

Maybe I will call him Jack  ;)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:15:49 pm »
today one of my young rams has decided that he would rather be friends with a large beauceron bitch in the kennels ( speyed) than spend time with his mates in the field; five or six times he has braved the electric fence and my wrath not to mention my own dog soundly chasing him back to stand side by side with the dog at the end of her run............................WHY????
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:54:17 am »
I currently have two BWM ram lambs in my back garden.  Nowhere else seems to appeal to them at the moment to the extent they even tunneled out from the nursery paddock from which nothing else has ever escaped.  They really want to live in the yard and meet and greet everyone but there are some things even I draw the line at.  Now husband wants them wethered to keep and I am in an agony of indecision.....

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:43:50 pm »
I woke up this morning to see my Zwartbles ram in with my Gotland ram and his six ewes  ::) , he had jumped TWO sets of stock fencing with a line of electric above, managing to break the electric wire and trash some fencing, along with evidence of much head banging going on  >:( .  He is now banished to an acre field with high hedging and hope he doesn't jump the gate!  :P
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS