Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Older hybrids  (Read 2053 times)

Little Nell

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Ashtead, Surrey
Older hybrids
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:45:37 pm »
Hi there, my 4 year olds are producing very few eggs, but I can't tell if one is producing all or they're taking it in turns. Is there any way of finding which are laying?
I don't have time to sit and watch all day!  :-\

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
Re: Older hybrids
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »
hi could you split them into separate runs even if only for a week, you would see whos laying then.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:12 am »
Problem with separating them is the disruption to their routine will stop them laying anyway Little Nell.

You could check the vent sizes. The none layers will have smaller vents as they contract if not used -that's based on my observations with Blackrocks. You may find two are laying infrequently. 4 years old is god for a hybrid as none of ours have lived past 3 and most stopped laying well before that.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:05:21 am »
Or you could check the distance between their pelvic bones. Just above the vent you will feel the pelvic bones, if you can put two fingers width between them she is laying, any less and probably not.
They are more than likely laying in turn, maybe two eggs a week each. Chicken soup or an honorable retirement? :-\

Little Nell

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Ashtead, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:39:45 pm »
I think it may be chicken soup-have deliberately not got too fond of them.  Others have also said four years is good and they've had a lovely life, spoiled rotten. Thanks for all advice from everyone.  X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS