Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: urgent medical advice required for Blackface hog  (Read 6848 times)

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
urgent medical advice required for Blackface hog
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:12:47 am »
On going for a walk last night I found one of my neighbours blackface hogs lying on its side "paddling".
We got the truck, phoned the neighbour and brough it home.  I have given it a general antibiotic jab, a rehydration drink, however although it is alive it is not on its feet and not looking great.
Neighbour has not come for it yet and will not call the vet.  Any ideas?  There is no temperature and my own thoughts are a possible septocaemia?  Suffice to say that it is in isolation from our own animals.
Any thoughts?
Debbie

Bullseye

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: urgent medical advice required for Blackface hog
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:48:20 am »
Sounds like you've done the best you can, what a horrible situation to be in. I'd encourage them to call the vet or put it out of it's mysery if it continues to deteriorate- if they refuse to do anything it's a welfare issue for someone with authority to deal with. Wouldn't do anything too hasty withought discussing it further with the owner though...

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:55:12 am »
Unfortunately we have a similar neighbour and i'm forever going into the field and finding pregnant ewes who've got stuck on their backs in a dip in our udulating land, i think being upside down paddling like hell causes a toxicity of some kind, not sure if it can be cured. When i call our neighbour to tell him he eventually about ten hours later after another agressive threatening phone call from me comes and collects the poor creature in the tractor bucket, is suspect she's shunted off to die a lingering death in a dank and dark corner as hes a not get the vet type as well >:(
sure one of the sheepy peeps will be along soon, but sounds like you've done all you can. :fc:
mandy :pig:

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:38:23 pm »
Don't know if this will help but one of mine last year I found stuck on her back and got her up on her brisket with hay bales holding her upright in a laying position on her belly gave her some bloat-ease(a kind of peptobismol for sheep and cattle) took awhile but brought up some gas and she started working the stomach again. I've been told on their back or side the rumen backs up and they will bloat up and can do them in. I treated it like bloat and got her back. 

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:12:18 pm »
Sounds like you have done what the vet would have told you to, except for bringing it onto your holding. I get edgy lending a healthy ram, there is no way id bring someone elses disease onto my land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »
Propping her up on her brisket is a good idea, let the rumen have some space to work.

It could be one of a gazillion things, the only other thing I'd give one of mine is a B-Vit jab, as some of the gazillions benefit from that as well as the a/bs.  I assume she's got hay within reach, nd some water.

I think there would be a temperature if it was septicaemia, so hopefully it's one of the things that the a/bs will hit.

Bless you for taking care of her.  What a good neighbour.  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »
I've been told on their back or side the rumen backs up and they will bloat up and can do them in. I treated it like bloat and got her back. 
That's my understanding too, whatever it was that laid them out in the first place.

Some good ideas given already. Good for you for trying to help her  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »
Can she see - if she has got CCN only a dose of Vit B (as was suggested before) will help her... but if she is paddling already it may well be too late.
Not sure how you can resolve this situation with your neighbour though... I have to admit I would be well annoyed if someone took my sheep out of my field before giving me a chance to look at it myself I have to say... In legal terms you have stolen the animal from his land if you took her before calling him.......

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:39 pm »
do you have any pro - rumen ? get the rumen going and will relive bloat.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:31 pm »
Pro  rumen has been given.  My neighbour was phoned at the time and still has not attended.  Having phoned him numerous times in the past he tends to come to pick up the carcass eventually. 

As for bringing the animal onto my holding, it has actually been taken to a building adjacent to us which is approved by animal health as a quarantine area as it is far enough from our own animals.    As for stealing it............well as I have a second job which involves a unifom so that is not a problem!!!!!!!!!

Suspect that this is CCN so hope that the vitamins may work.  The fact that she is still alive means that there is still hope.  No doubt that if she pulls through then she will be returned to her owner.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:03:08 am »
Not sure how you can resolve this situation with your neighbour though... I have to admit I would be well annoyed if someone took my sheep out of my field before giving me a chance to look at it myself I have to say...

We would be too, Anke - but we're not the sort of farmer whose neighbour would feel impelled to behave this way, and neither are you.  That's the point; dtw has been there before and knows what would[not] happen.  I used to have a neighbour like that and it's very distressing, knowing that the animal you see suffering will die unattended where she lies unless you do something.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 09:58:44 am »
If I had a neighbour like that I'd be on to the local Animal Health department. Sounds like you've done what you can for the poor old Blackie - hope it makes it!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 11:18:09 am »
If I had a neighbour like that I'd be on to the local Animal Health department. Sounds like you've done what you can for the poor old Blackie - hope it makes it!
this. and since neighbour is breaking the law by failing to provide medical care for sick animals he's unlikely to be able to claim 'theft'. I would be reporting him if its a frequent thing - he's neither got the excuse of ignorance or being new to sheep keeping.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »
There's no 'intent to permanently deprive' here, so it's not theft anyway.

debbietownhead

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »
Well, 48 hrs on she is still alive.  I did make contact with neighbours to ask if they had a multi vit jab to be told "sorry cant help you there" (they seem to have missed the point that we are helping them) but have told me that we can keep her if she survives!!!!!!!
So off to vet and got a multi vit jab and more pro rumen. 
Husband at this point got quite excited on the saturday night when he said that there was "rectal recognition" ( no wonder the sheep wants to die!), I did point out that he meant RETINAL recognition.
Vet just shook his head at the tale of this girl but then as he says he sees this all too often.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS