Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Muddy area by shelter  (Read 4903 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Muddy area by shelter
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:18 am »
I've a shelter in the field for my sheep, but in front of it there is a  large muddy area, caused by them constantly going in there!!! In the summer I tried re seeding it but that didn't work.
I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what I might do?
I can't move the shelter or change the entrance.
Thanks
4 pet sheep

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Muddy area by shelter
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:36 am »
Wood chip? (lots)
Cow trak?([size=78%]http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycled-shop/farmers/cow-trak[/size])

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 11:40:06 am »
I'm doing an experiment with GrassProtecta (from Boddingtons) round the cow's ring feeder this year. It's not a cheap option but if it means we don't have to wade through thick mud and do ourselves a mischief it'll be worth it.  :fc:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »
Rubber matting the open weave design that grass grows through. May also be called stable matting-not sure. That may be the solid kind. Some kinky sounding suppliers I got mine from called 'Rubber for You'! Ooer missis  ::)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:40:56 pm »
Pop a load of hardcore there then cover it with a bag of HYDRATED lime...the hardcore and lime together will improve the entrance and sort their feet out over the coming wet scald-y months. And its a cheap otion! Hardcore always available on freeads and Freecycle.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:59:50 pm »
Temporary solution - a couple of bales (bags) of woodfibre stable bedding.  Permanent solution - grass matting.  :thumbsup:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
remove the shelter

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:07:42 pm »
Couple of hurdles over entrance to shelter to keep them out.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:38:29 pm »
An old carpet ?
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 10:37:29 pm »
we have wood chip around ours and works a treat but we get it free from the local cemetery when they trim there trees and the local church so we can top it up as needed
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »
Pop a load of hardcore there then cover it with a bag of HYDRATED lime...the hardcore and lime together will improve the entrance and sort their feet out over the coming wet scald-y months. And its a cheap otion! Hardcore always available on freeads and Freecycle.
Agree with Mallows - I've done this with our field shelter and I've nomore problems in fact i made a 8' track to the gate and they lie down on this more than they lie in the shelter....!!!! I do pick up poo on a daily basis (as best I can) so it doesn't encourage grass seeds to grow and then kill off any grass that does once or twice a year.
You are never to old to learn something new

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:22:37 am »
Many thanks for all this advice - there are some really good ideas here.
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS