Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Halter/head collar for Shetland calves - recommendations please !  (Read 4321 times)

HappyHippy

:excited: :excited: :excited: The calves are coming on Friday  :excited: :excited: :excited: (as long as I get their 'quarters' finished tomorrow  ;))
Just can't tell you all how excited I am  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :cow: :thumbsup:

But, since I wasn't expecting them til after Xmas I haven't got all my bits and would like to get a halter and get started with training asap - to help me avoid making costly mistakes I'm wondering if someone can point me to a good, comfortable, starter halter/harness. The calves are 6 months old and Shetlands.
Thanks in advance  :-*
Karen

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
Re: Halter/head collar for Shetland calves - recommendations please !
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:26:40 pm »
I make my own to fit each animal, more comfortable for them and you have more control, the key is the measurement over the nose.

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:17 pm »
Just looked at the member map, see you aren't too far away. I'm going to be making a couple of halters for our own shetlanders so could easily make a couple of extra blanks and fit them for you if you want.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »
Hi Karen

Who are you getting?

Shetland calves are lovely -  at 6 months they won't have horns yet, just small buds coming through. If they're anything like ours, they'll be bouncing about chasing everything & nothing once they settle in.

Do post some pictures soon.

Sue

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:48 pm »
Just looked at the member map, see you aren't too far away. I'm going to be making a couple of halters for our own shetlanders so could easily make a couple of extra blanks and fit them for you if you want.

:o That would be fantastic  ;D Thanks so much  :thumbsup: I'll pm you with my million questions  ;)

Who are you getting?
I'm not sure of their registered names, need to double check that but they're coming from Palacerigg in Cumbernauld - currently known as Jack and the heifer  :innocent: I know, I know, it should automatically follow that I call her Jill. But I really don't like that name for a cow  ::) I'm just too fussy  :D

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:17:26 pm »
All good beasties deserve a good name. We've started naming our alphabetically each year as seems to be a tradition on Shetland and we thought it would be nice to follow it here.

The names we've used thus far are:
Ailsa, Annabel and Adam (who was our first male calf & now inhabits various freezers in our village and beyond).
Bonnie, Bridie, Breena and Brodie (he is next on the list for the butcher)
Cara, Caisi, Caiti, Cora and Cerin - Cerin will be ready in 2014.

Enjoy your new animals

Sue

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:28:47 pm »
no worries look forward to seeing them.

Most pedigree societies work with a year letter for males and females follow on from their mothers

Sam's Texel tups were Thor and Trojan, he bought in Tam o' Shanter and Tyson.

females I have bred were snow white, snow bird, snow drift (+ 2nd and 3rd all snowbird's daughters) and snow flower

the other option with females is to suffix the family name with a number i.e. Blyth(herd) Goldenstream(family name) XXII(number of animals who have borne that name)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:08 am »
Great news Karen  :thumbsup:  Piccies as soon as, please!   ;D

I don't know if it's the same with Shetland cattle as it is with ponies but mostly people don't seem to call their pony what its registered name is. 

And I wasn't about to call my house Jersey 'Scent'  ???

As to Jack and...  Jemima?  Juliet?  (Assuming our illustrious member is  8) with that  ;))  Jezebel (assuming said illustrious member  8) with heifer named after her favourite ewe :-J)   Jochasta  Julie  Julia  Jude  Judith  Judy  Josephine  Jenny/Jennifer  (Jenny's funny - Jack and Jenny are the male and female donkey)  Ok I'll stop now. :innocent:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »
There's no breed convention for the naming of Shetland cattle, although it looks like most folk start with "A" and follow from that.

We have Ryeland sheep and the RFBS DOES have a letter for each year and all tups must be named accordingly. Although ewes don't get an "official" name, we use the same letter for their pet names.

We've decided to use the same letter for the calves - so 2012 is an "S" year. The ewe lambs are Sweetpea, Smudge and Stella and the two calves are registered as Rosedean Sirocco (aka George) and Rosedean Santa Ana (aka Annie) (their mothers are Breeze and Blizzard, so we wanted to keep the "weather" theme  ;D ).

It's more bother than naming kids  :eyelashes:

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »
woohoo located our halters, mostly cotton show halters but also an adequate number of everyday ones too :excited:

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »
Excellent  :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting (although slightly less than patiently, poor Bruce  :innocent:) for my calves to arrive.
Hopefully towards the end of this week  :fc:
Oh and I came to a decision on the heifer's name, she's gonna be 'Mabel' (unless she doesn't suit it when she arrives  ::) ;))

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 10:31:49 am »
they'll arrive when they arrive. Glad I found the sack with the halters in it, thought I'd have to source soem decent rope. I'm looking forward to having cattle again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS