Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much to charge for pork  (Read 5519 times)

Andrea

• Joined Oct 2012
  • keyworth nottinghamshire
how much to charge for pork
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:57:24 am »
hi iv got 3 pigs ready next week how much do i charge im selling 1/2 or 1/4 its seems cheap in the shops what are smallholders chargeing at the moment thanks.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: how much to charge for pork
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:06:00 am »
price can depend on many things

are they prdigree ? there is a market for rare breeds

what are others charging around you ?

weights ?

around here £190 - £200 per pig min 120lb (for rare breed GOS, LOPS etc)

if they are just x or commercial £160 ish

its worth doing your numbers by local reserch.
my figures are from a guy we used to buy weaners from we were talking to him yesterday about pork trade  its been 12 months or so since i sold pork prices are standing still or down since then but there are more people selling meat around here now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:08:56 am by kja »
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:08:59 am »
We add up how much it's cost us to feed and bed them, add the slaughter and butchery costs (remember to count fuel costs) and devide this to give a cost per quarter/half/full pig then add whatever amount onto this you feel comfortable with for your time and work over the time it's taken to raise them. Don't be tempted to sell at cost or cheaper than cost because you're effectively then paying for the meat that others are eating and it can be damaging to those around you who are also selling their produce (and might not win you any friends  :-\).
Check out prices local to you, see how your intended prices compare and go from there  :thumbsup:
The thing you have to remember is, if you've got pedigree/outdoor raised pigs, this is a 'niche market' and different market completely to what folk buy in a supermarket - look in local farm shops/farmers markets to get a more realistic guide  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:37 am »
As everyone says it depends what they are and where you are, i know of people in Wales who can't get any more than £90 a half, whereas for pedigree GOS halves i can get £140 in North Yorkshire.  Being my hobby i aim to break even at the very least which is becoming increasingly difficult given all the price increases in feed, bedding etc. If you're doing the same then work out a rough cost of what they cost you and work from there, don't forget to add in butchering, sausage making & diesel, it soon adds up.
HTH
mandy :pig:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:35:28 am »
Wise words above.  We only sold one of our halves back in February - we costed ours and then worked out a price that we would be happy with and didnt seem too far adrift from the butcher.  We had pedigree saddlebacks and charged £4.5/Kg if bought in a half  (there was a bit of weight variation, so it didnt seem right to charge a flat rate for all halves).  So the one half we did sell worked out at £125 inc Sausages and bacon but no ham.  Good luck, Fi

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:31:06 pm »
Im in mid Suffolk.
£120 half basic box. Sausages usually extra £15.  I sell on a high welfare, outdoor reared basis.  These have been Crossed rare breed, finishing earlier so less paid out in food.

My local butcher sells standard indoor pig halves at £100,  free range pork loin At £9 not even rare breed.

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:40:41 pm »
Hi, I'm from Cambridgeshire and we sell rare breed pork for £7/kg and a half often works out to ~£180. People are happy to pay out for it as they love the way they are reared (often getting tours of pigs and other beasts when they visit) and they love the taste, but we are targeting those in well paid jobs! And we only sell the meat a few times a year.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 03:57:44 pm »
I bought half a pig from our farm butchers (outdoor bred and reared by them not brought in from market) for £1.30/lb, half worked out at £85. I was toying with the idea of buying a couple of weaners but the slaughter man who killed our lambs and our local butcher both told me there is no money in pigs at the moment...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:00:03 pm by twizzel »

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:10 pm »

I sold 1/2 saddlebacks and osb's at £180 and could have sold more if I had any.
Anne

Andrea

• Joined Oct 2012
  • keyworth nottinghamshire
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:19 am »
Thank you all for your help, and lots of it very usefull and it sounds like i did have my figures right and am not being greedy or over charging thanks again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS