Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Clippers  (Read 6717 times)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
Sheep Clippers
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:13:11 pm »
In the past, I have paid the local freelance shepherd to dag my sheep with her electric clippers and I also do trim up with hand shears.  However, as I now need my haflinger clipped over the winter as she gets too sweaty otherwise, I have decided to invest in a pair of clippers that can do horses and sheep??
Does anyone have any suggestions of makes/models please?

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
Re: Sheep Clippers
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »
Horse clippers use blades and sheep shears use 'combs and cutters', and have different 'heads' to hold the different styles of cutting blades, they are not interchangeable.

I have a Hauptner sheep shearing machine (motor in hand piece), that I believe you can buy cattle/horse heads for. I think the extra head to hold the horse blades is about £200 (thats just the head). Maybe more cost effective to stick with the freelance shepherd and buy yourself a set of horse clippers.

HTH

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:45:16 pm »
I can't give you any sensible advice as I'm yet to clip my own lambs. I have clipped horses out in the past but using horse-specific clippers. I'm pretty sure they didn't have interchangeable heads to do sheep with.

On a different note, these ones apparently will do horses, cows, dogs and...wait for it...CAMELS!!  :roflanim: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Clipper-Trimmer-2500RPM-Adjustable/dp/B009150RH6
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:23:50 pm by smee2012 »

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:04:32 pm »
'Fraid BadgerFace is right.  We have two entirely different sets of clippers, and for sheep you get through lots of cutters, not to mention oil.

We bought Lister for the sheep, and noticed that the shearer had the same model for dagging. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 02:24:38 pm »
Hmmm, is there an issue with putting links on? It doesn't seem to work for me - keeps cutting it all up?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:48:31 pm »

hmm it appears to be a problem with amazon links, i'll experiment

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:28:13 pm »
Here's a link to a pic of the Hauptner shearing machine I have. If you scroll down the description, it does have a cattle (holds horse blades) 'head' listed as a optional extra (can't see a price listed for the extra head though).

http://www.peasridge.co.uk/acatalog/Motor_in_handpiece_units.html

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:40:56 pm »
a bought a wee set about 5 or 6 years ago from ebay with 2 heads one for sheep and one for cattle and horses.think they were 110volt but came with a invertor to run them of a car battery. if i remember right they were about £150 . they do the job but are a bit slow on sheep if you are doing a few. 

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »
I've got a lister motor and a couple of heineger red back hand pieces, both excellent if a bit expensive for your needs.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 05:39:02 pm »
http://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/info_546.html

Probably wouldn't go far wrong with these?

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
I've got the Lister Laser 2 sheep clippers which have an interchangeable head for horses. 

http://www.lister-shearing.com/horse_clipping/laser2clipper.php

You have to buy the horse head separately but don't know how much it costs
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:23:23 pm »
Get an circuit tester & breaker as well.

Also you'll need to account for cutters and combs, there's a multitude of combs out there, they're about a tenner each, some can, in the wrong hands, do more damage more quickly, generally the winter combs fall in to this catagory

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 12:59:35 am »

You have to buy the horse head separately but don't know how much it costs

Or you could just annoy the mob and get a free one delivered  :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 10:40:48 am »
Sally  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS