Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free Horse Manure  (Read 6603 times)

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
Free Horse Manure
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:12:25 pm »

Would anyone be interested in our surplus horse manure.  Its an excellent fertiliser for gardens, allotments etc.
We are in Scotland, just north of Dundee.  Free to collect.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Free Horse Manure
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:20:20 pm »
I can announce that we have now completed our trial of dried horse poo as a fuel on our multi-fuel stove.

100%  :thumbsup:  Burns well, doesn't smell (not that we noticed, anyway), and keeps the fire in all night.  If you only burn wood with it, you can use the ash on the garden / veg plot, or whatever, and put the nutrients back in the soil after extracting the energy.

This is not a wind-up.

Anyone near enough to collect horse manure, with space to dry it - that's free fuel, that is!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »
I have just been given the last piece of info needed to start project 'I want some shetland ponies'!! ;D
Carry my hay for me AND fuel the fire??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:46:02 pm »
Get Exmoors, Donna?   :love: :horse: :hshoe:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:48:26 pm »
Tell me more.... :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :horse:

I have a lot of learning to do first as I now a bit less about horses than I do dragons :D :D
I assumes shetlands as they are small and been told they are easy to keep.

Can you point me to some good learning please?
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:58:13 pm »
They might be small, but they're not the easiest of breeds (and some are nightmares !  ::)) but I'm not terribly well versed in horse stuff and I'm sure others will disagree, but it deffo makes having horses a possibility  ;)
I'm like you CW, I'd like to have a couple of horses (for working, keeping the grass down) but have't had the justification (everything has to 'earn' it's keep here) turning grass into fuel sounds like a great way to earn a living  :excited: Or I take the easy route and get my neighbour to give me her horse poop  :innocent:

Sally, please tell me more about how you dried it ? For how long ? Any other information would be great  :thinking:
 :thumbsup:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:38:17 pm »
Anyone near enough to collect horse manure, with space to dry it - that's free fuel, that is!

Only if you have a fireplace or stove. Would love to have one... Could lay my hands on loads of free wood for burning, too - but I don't think the council will go for it, somehow! They are not in favour of making it possible for their tenants to actually have a warm house. >:(

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:33 pm »
How did you dry it Sally?

I am now wondering if I can try this with goat poo! Of course, there is always the livery stables up the road!

Beth

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:50:09 pm »
You'd nee a lot of goat poo - one goat simply doesn't produce that much... Although it would work in a similar way. We had a lot of oven-dried sheep poo (Soay, actually) once - don't ask!!! - it was perfect fertiliser; pelleted, non-smelling, easy to apply. All my friend had sacks and sacks of that. So maybe that would be a better way to utilise goat poo?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:00 pm »
You'd nee a lot of goat poo - one goat simply doesn't produce that much...

Jill(ephant) would like to challenge that :D :D :D  I swear she poo's as much as a wee pony. But then to be fair she is bigger than most wee ponies.

I am knee deep in rabbit poo so am thinking about bunging that in the mix too!

Horse, cow, sheep, goat and rabbit poo...... We could do our own speciality blend!!
A bit like tea, but not quite :roflanim:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:28:01 am »
Folks, we shouldn't hijack the OP's ad for in-depth discussion of pony breeds and fuel alternatives - bad me.  (Need a slapped wrist emotiwotsit.)

deepinthewoods has started a conversation about horse manure as fuel here, I'm off to start a one about pony breeds for colliewoman... here it is

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS