Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Sound of Silence  (Read 6767 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: The Sound of Silence
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »
The sound of silence is what I miss most... I hate all unnecessary noise. I can cope with the tractor going all night through harvest time - or the cockerels crowing at all times - or other "necessary" sounds that tell me there's life around me!  ;)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 10:51:32 pm »
Envy.  We have the nearby M1 as main course spiced-up with a side order of Luton airport.  It takes a lot for the animals to raise their heads!
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 12:10:42 am »
Glad you like the pic. Its brill here the OH has started to forget to take her tablets  :) :) :)  Here a pic from the other night a star trail one (well an attempt)

I am going to live the dream

bangbang

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 05:33:53 am »
Nice one!  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:55 am »
Love that  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Wendy@blueborage

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 10:32:10 am »

Love the pics and the idea of peace, quiet.  Mostly, our peace gets shattered when a plane comes over (and back again - and back again - if it's a light aircraft).  Wonderful to hear only nature.

Wendy@blueborage

blueborage.blogspot.com

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 11:00:30 am »
We do get the odd plane coming over. But the noise doesn't last long there mainly Tornados or Hercules
doing very low level training and I mean low. The lady from next door said a group of pilots came in once and said they use the place to practice there skills. There to fast to get a pic on the MOD web page we live in area 14t. So jets can go as low as 100ft and Hercs 150ft, they are amazing

Wendy@blueborage

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 12:19:54 pm »
yes - miliary aircraft roars over very low.   We don't get many miliary planes over us, but we seem to be on the flight path for the Mall, so on special occasions we get the lancaster, spits, red arrows etc coming over first. 

What seems to bother the geese/chickens are hot air balloons.  They hate those!

Wendy@blueborage

blueborage.blogspot.com

Wendy@blueborage

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:58 pm »
sorry - meant military planes not miliary.  Spelling's gone up the creek.

Wendy@blueborage

blueborage.blogspot.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 12:40:22 pm »
What seems to bother the geese/chickens are hot air balloons.  They hate those!

The ballooning maps have a big red NO GO area around any ground where there are likely to be breeding mares - too many balloon pilots have been sued for causing abortion in horses.  I don't think they avoid geese and chickens... :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 07:20:41 pm »
The (only) advantage of it being noisy all the time here is that we don't notice the odd extra bit. 

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ga_srg_09webSSL18November.pdf covers military low flying. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:57:45 pm »
The lovely Lady who turned the bar from a cow shed to the bar we now live in still lives next door. She come in to gab to Les for the company. She was telling us that When the RAF guys came in they had photos of where there bombs would land if launched yes and its was the pub. Hope they come back for a pint. So they can tell me when the next run will be so I can have camera ready
good luck to these guys respect

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 10:23:08 pm »
Where I lived on Isle of Arran, the planes used to be flown up the valley and between two hills on practice runs.  I used to check the roof for tyre marks.   :roflanim:

On a more serious note, my youngest was about two and playing in the garden when one went overhead.  He was so terrified he couldn't run fast enough to get in to me.  After that, I couldn't get him to go out into the garden on his own all summer.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:46 pm »
we went up Snowdon and one time you could see the plane below but comming at us. You could feel the noise. Are son was running round scared I was  screaming stand still in case he fell. But they are good

princesspiggy

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:57 am »
its so lovely. are you getting animals for your land? homereared pork on the menu?
 :wave: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS