Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any fool can be a pig farmer on the North Devon coast..........???  (Read 5656 times)

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
Well we hope this pair of fools can. Completely new to small holding and wanting advice on rare breeds. Which are the best rotovators as we want them for land clearance and pork?

Can we keep them in relatively new woodland? (30 years fallow since the land was used for market gardens)

We always read that they'll eat pretty much anything (except kitchen scraps) but we have a lot of ground ivy, are they okay with this kind of environment?

We are looking at berkshires, Gloucester old spots & Saddlebacks - any tips?

Thanks  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Any fool can be a pig farmer on the North Devon coast..........???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »
I gave an answer on your intro post too, waxing lyrical about my own favourites, OSBs. 

Everyone will sing the praises of their own breed, of course.

I have found OSBs to be the most hardy out of OSB, Saddleback and Large Black.  I haven't tried GOS or Berkshire.

What can you buy locally?  And are there other keepers running your chosen breed free range locally?  If not, why not? 

I certainly know of two farmers in North Devon / Somerset who finish Saddlebacks and Saddleback crosses indoors... and one of them's organic, so they wouldn't be finishing indoors unless they had to.

There's another organic farm near Braunton keeps GOS now, I think they used to have Tamworths so may have switched...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »
One thing, if the woodland gets or has had payments associated with its planting there is often a clause about not allowing livestock into it. Might well not be relevant but worth checking out....

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »
Thanks for the last 2 replies.
There are free range rare breeds locally but as you say -  everyone will say that their chosen breed is best!
The woodland has never been subject to any grants, it was simply left entirely to its own devices for 30 years.

We are really looking forward to becoming would-be-not a clue-but -doing -it anyway pig farmers!

We built our own house so how hard can it be?!

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »
Hello from me, fellow pig keeper, up in Scotland  :wave:

They'll ALL dig, so if your trees are less than 10 years since planting, keep the pigs away from them  ;) Even my short nosed Kunekunes managed to uproot a not too small willow  :o

I'm a big believer that there's a breed for each person/set up, you just have to figure out which one it is both in theory and practice.
We've had Large Blacks, Berkshires, Tamworths, OSB's, Kunekune and Saddleback/GOS crosses - all lovely pigs and great pork, but you'll find that there's one that just 'fits' you best  :thumbsup: Get a few different breeds in the spring and raise them to slaughter, see which ones you like best and take it from there (or do exactly the same thing the following year with another range of breeds  :excited:)

Berkshires and Large Blacks are in need of more help in terms of numbers being kept and bred, so that's a plus for them  :thumbsup: If you're new to pigs the general advice is to start with a lop eared breed, so not Berkshires (but it has to be said my two Berkshires didn't give me any trouble) GOS pigs and pork have the TSG status, so it's a plus point when the time comes to sell..... See what I mean, the arguements for and against each breed could go on for pages and pages but until you've kept them and managed them you'll not know what's best for you and your set up - so go on, get a few different breeds and see which ones you like best.  :innocent: ;D

They should all be okay with the ground ivy I think, pigs are normally quite good at avoiding things which make them ill but I've no ground ivy here so can't tell you for sure  :-\
HTH
Karen

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »
Thanks Karen,

Most helpful. I think we were looking at trying out which ones worked with our personalities. We are happy to try different breeds each year to gain a better understanding of them.

All the best

C :pig:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:39:10 pm »
Actually I would jut start with one of the rare breeds and see how you get on... we have had GOS, middlewhite x GOS, Lops and saddlebacks... they all taste lovely, grow quickly and do make a mess of the ground they are on...
We now have our second batch of OSB weaners to rear (we don't breed just rear weaners every year to use up our surplus goatsmilk) - but we choose them as we knew the breeder, she is quite local to us and we do really like the way she does her pigs...
a good book I read was carole Harris - traditional ig keepeing or something like that...

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:27:09 pm »
[advert on] and another good book is ours :) - buy on-line frm our website [advert] www.oaklandspigs.co.uk [advert off]

Ground ivy will be fine - they'll simply dig it up, they don't eat the leaves, they just uproot and kill.

Any of the rare breeds or crosses between them will be great for what you want.  Everyone of this site will chanpion their favorite breeds.  We have 11 different breeds, and generally find that lop eared breeds (ears down - eg saddlebacks, OSB's GOS's Large Balcks)  are generally easier for a first timer than prick eared (ears up - eg Tamworth, Middlewhite, Berkshire) - BUT like children individuals vary.  Kune Kune's either root or don't - depends on which breeder/keeper you talk to.  Ours dig !

As for which will suit your personality - the answer is easy - whatever you get will !!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:47:12 pm by Dan »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »
Oh you are going to fall in love, I warn you!

We've kept Berkshires, Lops and Large Blacks.  They all have their plusses which outweigh any minuses (escaping being one rather large minus!)

PM me if you like.  I live in Mid Devon and am happy to chat pig and smallholding.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:16:10 am »
We breed Oxford Sandy & Blacks and Mangalitzas. The OSB is a great beginners' pig, the mangalitza isn't, but is a great rotavator! As you will have seen from the earlier replies, everyone has their own favourite. I'd suggest you speak to and/or visit some pig breeders in your area, and buy some pigs from one who has well-kept, happy pigs and who is prepared to help you if you have questions or problems. To be honest, if you want them for pork and for land clearance, I'd say breed is less important than the quality of weaners. The only practical considerations are that white/pink pigs are more prone to sunburn (if we ever get any sun, that is!).

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:43 am »
Hello there   :wave: from another North Devon pig keeper/breeder!  :pig:   I have British Lops and Tamworths at the moment.  Like the Large Blacks and GOS I find they all rotovate brilliantly.  They have levelled a large area for me to plant a new orchard next autumn. 

I fall in love with every breed I have.  As for flavour, still don't think anything tops GOS or Tamworth.   Good luck! 

Maggie
 :dog:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:36 am »
You will lose your heart to pigs, I have had the All Black and Kune-Kune. Lots of fun.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:15 am »
Another vote for GOS, theres loads of breeders in the south -west (see the GOS website www.oldspots.org.uk ) but be warned they're heart breakers :love: :love: .
All the best with your pig venture
Mandy  :pig:
ps if you can wait until early spring or your rotivated ground will just turn in to a quagmire of mud slurry and be useless for cultivation! And avoid anywhwere with young trees, pigs are profound backside rubbers! ;D

LittleMrsC

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Combe Martin
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:16:31 am »
 :excited:

Thanks so much for all the tips and advice........I will PM all the southwest contingent as and when. You've all been brilliant!

:pig: :wave:

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »
Do some research as to which rare breeds are most marketable in your area then choose one you like the look of, most of us have a favourite breed, as already mentioned they all dig, Kune and Middlewhite can be just as efficient on my pastures as the Saddlebacks, commercials and wild boar crosses, though the latter do have the edge!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS