Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food  (Read 8764 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Food
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »
So when I do get my goats what to feed them is a question???

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »
Lots of good quality ad lib hay is the first thing. After that it depends on the job they are doing IMO.

I feed mine on dairy nuts meant for cows  :goat: :goat: :goat: :goat:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:56:06 pm »
^^ what the lovely lady said!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »
Mine get hay ad lib, with plenty of grazing. But mine get Shetland sheep blend as you cant get dairy nuts up here! Also red rockie to lick at.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »
and make sure you have a good list of what NOT to feed them too.  Will show you what we feed when you come over next week  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 04:45:04 pm »
and make sure you have a good list of what NOT to feed them too.  Will show you what we feed when you come over next week  :)

Cheers plums :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:33:00 pm »
If you buy in an older goat you can have a hell of a job to try and change her habits.... my older GG does not like dairy nuts for example and prefer (expensive  ::) ) goat mix.
But it is - in my personal opinion - best to feed the a variety of different feeds, which does give you some leeway if for example one runs out on Saturday afternoon, or merchant can't get hold of it for a few days. It also depends on how much you can store, for a few goats it is safer to have only one or two bags (20 or 25kgs) of feed stored, as it cannot be fed if it goes mouldy. A good METAL feed bin for storage is also essential - we have just today noticed that some rat droppings have appeared in the feed shed  >:( ...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »
Yes, the trouble with goats is that they are not neat and tidy animals. They might leave some crumbs, or spill some food into their bedding, and it just attracts rats.....

I am currently waging my own small war...

Beth

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 09:20:34 pm »
I've got cats...no rats :innocent:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 09:23:14 pm »
I've got cats... Even ones that catch rats! And we have a JR terrier who loves rat hunting. And still the rats keep appearing- I don't like poison because of the cats and dogs, but I do cave in occasionally.

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:31:46 pm »

So will I.

We haven't had rats this year unless they are getting more sneaky and I haven't seen them.  They live under the goat shed so they may have been washed out this year.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 02:12:27 am »
I've got (lots of) cheeky rats around the goat byre again  >:( Think it will have to be poison for a while, much as I hate putting it down.

My goats get sheep coarse mix and diary nuts, plus hay as their basic diet, plus ReadiGrass and flaked maize as treats, and hedgerow branches.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 08:16:14 am »
Thanks MGM..... As for rats I got my trusty air rifle and nite vision :innocent:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 08:51:12 am »
I need an air rifle I think - for the jackdaws too!

If the idiots round here didn't drive faster than their brains operate, thus killing my cats on the road, I could have outdoor cats too. As it is, they just keep the inside of the house vermin-free  ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 10:51:46 am »
got something nibbling in our feed/hay barns too. have left doors open and stuck snowball the cat outside on an empty stomach today. so far we've had one dead mouse from her.
not sure I'd be too good with our air rifle, not with my dodgy eyesight - likely to stick a shot in OH's bum or something  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS