Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bewildering labelling of pork  (Read 1981 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Bewildering labelling of pork
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:16:20 am »
Found this on BBC news website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19976691
Think some of the info in it is a bit suss but at least its helping point consumers in the right direction.
Mandy :pig:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Bewildering labelling of pork
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:34:01 am »
Sainsburys  :rant: is dropping the red tractor logo. That seemed to me at least the easiest, understandable option. At least it meant British Pork, which although has varying welfare standards is way ahead of elsewhere in the world.  I guess they are positioning themselves for an influx of EU pork when the market starts drying up and these is a lack of GB pork next summer.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:39:23 am »
I have been told that the red tractor could mean "EU pork chopped up in UK and now labelled as UK pork". Now, I always thought red tractor meant UK / British all the way through? Hmm.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:49:35 am »
Unfortunatley as Mandy says even the article gives a misleading picture, as there are no legal standards for the words "free range", "outdoor bred", "outdoor reared" etc.  The NPA did try and get some interst in the EU setting standards, but nothing has come of this.

In the meantime whilst some supermarkets and suppliers have signed up (only 50 to date) to a common usage of these terms by no means all have eg Aldi hasn't.

And whilst Sainsbury's claim that removing the red tractor symbol will actually remove confusion, it was one of the few that most consumers had some confidence in. 

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »
And whilst Sainsbury's claim that removing the red tractor symbol will actually remove confusion, it was one of the few that most consumers had some confidence in. 

And rightly so (that consumers had some confidence in it.)  We farmers have to pay for our FABBL (or Scottish equivalent) status, and are assessed each year to ensure compliance.  Livestock auction companies' computers are plumbed into the online database, and the Farm Assured (or Scotch Assured) status of the animals in the ring is displayed on the info screen as the animals are sold.

Perhaps I am being unfair, but Asda pay an extra 10p/kilo deadweight for Farm Assured lamb... could it be that Sainsburys simply want to cut their costs by buying UK meat more cheaply, buying imported meat without being quite so noticeable, and losing the welfare assurance across all their meat?  :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »

Perhaps I am being unfair, but Asda pay an extra 10p/kilo deadweight for Farm Assured lamb... could it be that Sainsburys simply want to cut their costs by buying UK meat more cheaply, buying imported meat without being quite so noticeable, and losing the welfare assurance across all their meat?  :rant:
No, just as cynical as the rest of us... and rightly so. >:( 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS