Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: selling pigs  (Read 5397 times)

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
selling pigs
« on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:56 pm »
anyone think of me strange for this one ?

at the weekend we were at a local show so we took along with the show pigs some weaners that i intend to show (and one to eat) next year. i was approached by a couple wanting me to sell one to add to their herd the only question i was asked was the price that was easy i had sold one out of the same pen earlier to another breeder so that had been set that day. well they came and stared and stared  and then went away only to come back and stare in the pen some more until she finally said i spoke to you when they were 6 weeks old they were cheaper then ? i then told her they had been feed since then as they dont live on fresh air. so they walked off again only to return later and say they could not afford the new price i said ok i did not really want to sell him any way hes for 2013 showing. the end no they came back they really wanted him but the price ............1,2,3 i blew if you cant afford to buy him how the hell can you feed him his feed he is not for sale. shhhhhhhhhhh i think they have gone .

no she has just been on the phone  i may have said something rude to her after she asked if she could have him on loan next year as she really needs a boar. i do hope she gets the message.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: selling pigs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:10:19 pm »
Some people  :rant:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:40 pm »
you've done the right thing ,the only other thing is dont Carey on the conversation that's final .Each person noes Whit work has gone in to the stock if its good well so be it .Me i ask the price and i no there is no way the price will change i just pay and that's it .Iff i wont some think well iv got to pay and get my head round it .I was at rhinestone some time back and 2 people said I'm taking that stock home no matter Whit the cost i thort this would be good both had a few bob so the stock came up and up and up until a nother woman put a final bid in and that was it ,well put in place.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »
kja, please think very carefully about giving your boar out on loan. i am talking from experience here, it is not worth it, if you have doubts the now you will regret it if you do loan him out.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »
kja, please think very carefully about giving your boar out on loan. i am talking from experience here, it is not worth it, if you have doubts the now you will regret it if you do loan him out.

dont worry lill i have seen too many loan animals come back to breeders over the years, in one case the boar did not come back he was sausaged and sold without the owners knowledge so no loans here. imo they are just wanabees that want to do it on the cheap.to be honest i would rather put any animal in the freezer than end up dealing with people like them.

lets just see if he gets the prizes his half brother did this year and watch the price go up  :innocent:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »
too many people learn by their mistakes. glad to read you will not be one of the statistics.  :thumbsup:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:41:47 pm »
The nerve of some people  :knit:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 10:11:23 am »
i blew if you cant afford to buy him how the hell can you feed him his feed he is not for sale. shhhhhhhhhhh i think they have gone .
been there, there are too many out there want everything for nothing especially now they've heard pig keeping is in a bad way. Buyers market my backside, things will never recover if we sell stuff for next to nowt, i've got a gilt for sale and the offers i've had for her are ridiculous and i won't sell her for peanuts. I'd rather send her for bacon if i have to :'(
 :rant: :rant: Grr grrr mandy :pig:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 12:05:35 pm »
I can see why people offload stock for next to nothing but it's the worst thing for everyone really. Trouble is the public at large think that anyone with pigs for sale is circling the drain financially and that we'll all be glad to get rid and they'd be doing us a favour taking them off our hands. Small producers need to stick with it and it'll come good.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 02:49:01 pm »
the thing is people get the wrong idea. Even on Sunday I had someone sucking their teeth when I told them about my 2 new litters, with a 'you don't want that now, girl etc etc'.  They reckon everyone is heading down, but it is the big boys without access to credit from banks that don't like the look of the commodity they loan for.  If you can see yourself through the dip, you are in a different position.  I guess these people trying by pigs for absolutely nothing are riding on the general wave, that isn't necessarily the same for everyone.

Dutchjim

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Chartridge
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:30 pm »
If I had the facilities I would buy and rear now  because the whole thing will turn and I would have pigs ready to take the boar when demand is there. Buy when the market is down sell when up!The high wheat price will effect everyone also the Danes and my fellow country men, the Dutch. Long term there will be huge demand for food and for the" know how" how to produce it. I hope I am right for all our sakes!!
www.chilternridge.com
Apple Juice made from your apples

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 10:57:13 pm »
We are selling puppies at the moment and get people emailing saying they can only afford a £100 and will we sell for that...... duh no!
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 07:44:34 am »
I sell about 200 weaners a year and lately that has been dropping slightly so I have used this to my advantage. It seemed a good time to cull a few sows and grow on some replacements for when things improve. It will improve and I want a strong good quality herd when it does.
Rispainfarm I had the same thing last year with pups, they were lab collie cross and only £150 and had someone wanting me to deliver it to Yorkshire from mid Wales for nothing and thought me very unreasonable for refusing, muppets.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:35 am »
i seen some nice pigs for sale 3 months old £20 the seller didn't wont to take them throe the winter.it will take time the feed is not whot it should be a lot have old stock and just making a killing .My stock was looked at and they said its worth just over £90 mark 3 weeks latter it was sold to the Glenfiddich Distillery  for £190 per ton  the old 40 ton went last week .So the grain and the lambs making top price the loss ducks geese and chickins haw that went all ducks sold evens with them a phrophit with the geese as they go christmas week so the big 1 chickins nothink if we had sold heratage high breds from the start  we woud have made money incubating brooding and making 16 weeks £18 so its not worth the work ,just phone deliverd and sell £5 on each hen ,still carnt belive you carnt make money on the hens .
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:05:43 am by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS