Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELLO,,HELLO,HELLO,FROM IRELAND  (Read 2591 times)

sashadog

• Joined Oct 2012
HELLO,,HELLO,HELLO,FROM IRELAND
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »

Just an intro to introduce myself and say hello,,,Ive recently acquired 2 Pigs for fattening and then geting butchered,,,All i know about them is what the guy i bought them from has told me about feeding them etc,,,I just want some clarification that i am doing it correctly really,,

They were 10 weeks old when i got them 2 weeks ago,,they seem very content and happy,and seem to have grown in the 2 weeks,,I dont know what bread they are,but they are a whiteish pinky colour with a good bit of black markings on them,,,I am in Ireland by the way,,From looking at the different breads on this site they seem more like the British Saddleback variety,,

I am feeding them 2 ibs of rolled oats and barley mixed with a little scoop of soyafeed added in with it,,twice a day,,,and they also get a good bit of scraps from the house,,,,is this enough/too much ?,,and when should i up the feed if this is enough at present,,,They are outside on grass and seem happy out digging up the grass and getting roots etc,,They have a proper shed to go into with a straw bed,,

Thats all the questions i have at the minute,,and would love some advise and input from yous folks,,thanks,

sashadog

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: HELLO,,HELLO,HELLO,FROM IRELAND
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »
THIS IS THEM FOLKS

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:54:31 pm »
hi there,
The general rule is one pound of food per month of age per day. So 2 and a half pounds per day per pig should be enough right now, especially if they are on grass (which gives them roughly an extra 10 percent).
Hope this helps :)

sashadog

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »

Thanks for that,,i just makeing sure,,when would i increase there food,,,as i dont want to either underfeed or overfeed them (wouldnt want too much fat on the meet)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »
hi from cornwall! :thumbsup:
 come and say hi in the 'introduce yourself 'section and tell us all a bit more about yourself, enjoy the forum! :tree:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:40:32 am »
Hi and welcome, sure you will enjoy having your pigs but food from the kitchen is a no no. Read up on rules, they are very strict. :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:54:33 am »
I'll reprint the answer I gave under your identical Introduce Yourself post here.

Hi sashadog.

The usual rule-of-thumb for free range pigs is 1lb hard feed per pig per month of age up to 4 or 6 months (depending on the model you are following.)

So at 12 weeks, 3lbs per pig per day. 

Scraps and fruit/veg, if fed, replaces hard feed at a rate of about 4:1.  So if you're feeding 2lbs grain, you'd need 4lbs veg on top of that to replace the other 1lb grain.

They'll grow, alright!   :D  The thinking is you can almost feed ad lib up to 4 months, and fairly high protein, but at about 4 months, cut the protein back to less than 20%.

Most of us with the non-commercial / rare breeds cap the hard feed at 4lbs per day.  They are very prone to getting overfat, so continuing to increase by 1lb/week up to 6lbs will result in excess backfat.

I don't know the rules in Ireland, but in England, Scotland and Wales we are not allowed to feed scraps from the house.  Waste from the veg plot is fine.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:00:17 am »
Hello from me  :wave:

Ditto everything Sally says, especially the bit about NO kitchen scraps  :thumbsup:
They look like good pigs, look forward to hearing how you get on.
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS