Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I quite like this.. but what is it?  (Read 5639 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
I quite like this.. but what is it?
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:59 pm »
This was happily growing in the scrub grass next to the pavement in Northumberland. Any specific name for it. Assume it could be a happy colourful edition to a grass verge even if it could be a weed?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: I quite like this.. but what is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »
Is it feverfew?

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »
Scentless mayweed (Matricaria perforata) a.k.a  mayweed to arable growers a persistent weed in cereals and oilseed rape. Pretty never the less.

Feverfew has leaves rather than feathery frills and a curious smell when the leaves are crushed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:42:53 pm by ddangus »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:55 pm »
Brill - I was sort of not sure cos of the leaves.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »
Assume it would stay fairly well contained in a grass verge. Not growing cereals and don't have livestock so no issues in that respect.

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:00:02 pm »
It should stay pretty well contained, a lot of the more persitent weeds like a bit of disturbance and some open space to compete away against crops. A well established verge will probably keep it at bay. Saying that it is only a weed if you are trying to harvest something else and it competes for spce and nutrient with it. If you are keen on some color in your verge you can always try some common knapweed.

http://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/32

( btw the link is not an endorsement of this company or plug)

Cheers,

DD
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:03:57 pm by ddangus »

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:04:10 pm »
Thanks DD. I have always held the view that a weed is only a weed if you think it is in the wrong place for you. So a rose in a bed where you don't want it may as well be a weed.

We currently have a long verge at the front of our place that is essentially just grass that we spend plenty of time cutting only for cars to pull on it s they can pass. I thought I may as well add a bit of colour and rather than break my back planting bulbs etc a few seeds of supposed weeds that are quite attractive. Will have to get some knapweed seeds too unless anyone has any.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »
It should stay pretty well contained, a lot of the more persitent weeds like a bit of disturbance and some open space to compete away against crops. A well established verge will probably keep it at bay. Saying that it is only a weed if you are trying to harvest something else and it competes for spce and nutrient with it. If you are keen on some color in your verge you can always try some common knapweed.

http://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/32

( btw the link is not an endorsement of this company or plug)

Cheers,

LOL - didnt read your link about the seeds - answered my question thanks!

DD

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:56 pm »
Hi EtoC

You didn't miss the link.
I put it in as an edit.

I might be able to harvest some seeds for you but knapweed does not always set seed succesfully and I 'll habe to beat the goldfinches to it. Another nice addition to your verge would be devil's bit scabiuos (one of my favourites).

DD

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:26:23 pm »
Yes that is very nice too! Think I need to get some seeds and turn my verge into something far more pleasing on the eye.

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »
Looks like chamomile to me, I think the feathery foliage belongs to the flowers.

Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

ddangus

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:24:27 am »
Chamomile (scented mayweed) and Scentless mayweed are very similar.
But the yellow heart is much bigger in scentless mayweed and flatter compared to chamomile. Chamomile looks more dainty and smells.
Also if you cut the yelow disc in half (top to bottom) the one in chamomile is hollow whilst the one in scentless mayweed is solid.
As scentless mayweed has none of the herbal qualities of chamomile it is  good to know the difference.
Another way of differentiating is that in general chamomile flowers June-July and scentless mayweed flowers June - September.

DD

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »
Thanks for the info, as you probably guessed, I didn't know that  :dunce:.

Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 06:43:40 pm »
I thought it Chamomile too, shame my brother is not on the site as hes a botonist but then he likes to know the scale and size.......I actualy would grow weeds buy choice  :innocent: ...there are lots that I love and to me a wild meadow garden would be perfect!!

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:17:56 pm »
Anthemis (Asteraceae), common names: stinking mayweed, chiggerweed, dillweed, dog daisy, dog's chamomile, dog's fennel, fetid chamomile, flake, hog fennel, Johnny Appleseed's weed, madders, maise, mather, mathes, manthern, mawthern, mawther, maythic, mayweed, mazes, moithern, morgan, Morgan's weed, ox-eye chamomile, pathweed, pigsty daisy, stinking chamomile

Stinking mayweed is an annual weed which mainly germinates in spring. It can be found in crops sown in spring, and also pastures that are not very dense during spring. Low density of pastures in spring is often due to treading damage over winter, or if they are newly established. Once present in pastures, most livestock prefer not to eat it, allowing it to dominate the pasture. If lactating cows do eat it, tainting of milk can occur. It grows upright but tends not to grow much taller than 20-50 cm.

In pastures, stinking mayweed will eventually disappear by itself once it flowers because it is an annual, and management of the pasture should endeavour to improve density in the following late winter to early spring to prevent it establishing again.
Pigs are human tooo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS