Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you lengthen a jumper?  (Read 18430 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: How do you lengthen a jumper?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 10:16:52 am »
See what you are missing Rosemary?  ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 11:44:46 am »
Ahat ! Not just me then! I've just finished the back of a jumper knitted with local Jacob Sheep wool and it is way too short! I knitted it bottom to top, with a lovely band of Fair Isle just above the rib so don't want to unravel from the bottom. I don't want to cut it as I may be a bit short of wool now I know it's too long, so will unravel from the top to where the shaping for the sleeves starts and knit another 3 inches. Really annoying as I'm such a slow knotter it's taken ages!  :rant:

PS: What is a Kitchener graft?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:48:56 am by Blackbird »
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 11:56:31 am »
Hi Blackbird - I'm glad it's not just me :knit: :knit: ;D

Kitchener grafting is a way of joining two bits of stocking stitch or plain knitting together invisibly.  You thread a double point needle through each stitch of the two bits to be joined, then link them by mimicking another row of work, using a wool darning needle.  It is usually used for the toes of socks, or for under the arms in a circular knitted garment.  Kitchener stitch can also be used to add coloured decoration on top of existing stocking stitch.  I can give you instructions if you want to have a go.......
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 12:03:54 pm »
I can give you instructions if you want to have a go.......
Hi FW  :wave:  I know what it is, and have diagrams, and understand the theory - but somehow it never quite goes the same in real life...  ::)  Any tips for the cack-handed?  :dunce:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:42 pm »
I'll show you Sally  :knit:    It's basically straightforward but I do have a problem with the last stitch on each needle though - what does everyone do with those?   Ah, I think I might just have worked it out in my head but will have to try it in practice  ::)
I have a wonderful circular knitting book (no - the book is rectangular as usual) which is sadly out of print, which gives instructions for eegits (which is how I can do it  ;D ) but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reproduce it here.  Can I?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 12:59:16 pm »
I have a wonderful circular knitting book (no - the book is rectangular as usual) which is sadly out of print, which gives instructions for eegits (which is how I can do it  ;D ) but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reproduce it here.  Can I?
I don't know about reproducing it online, we'll have to wait for Dan to pronouce - but you could maybe email me a screenshot?  :eyelashes: :eyelashes: :eyelashes:  Pretty please?  :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »
I'll get OH to scan it Sally  :eyelashes: :knit:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:34:55 pm by Fleecewife »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 10:53:23 pm »
Ahat ! Not just me then! I've just finished the back of a jumper knitted with local Jacob Sheep wool and it is way too short! I knitted it bottom to top, with a lovely band of Fair Isle just above the rib so don't want to unravel from the bottom. I don't want to cut it as I may be a bit short of wool now I know it's too long, so will unravel from the top to where the shaping for the sleeves starts and knit another 3 inches. Really annoying as I'm such a slow knotter it's taken ages!  :rant:

PS: What is a Kitchener graft?

If you have a couple of rows of stocking stitch between the rib and the fair isle, just cut it there and add some more rows downwards.  Your fair isle will then be slightly higher up the jumper.

With stocking stitch, the stitches look the same whichever way you knit them, up or down, so it doesn't show where you've joined.  You could always use a different colour or put in a few rows of a pattern in the extra rows.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS