Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cat flu  (Read 2724 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Cat flu
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:49:37 am »
We rescued a teen-cat (1yearish) and before we knew it he was sneezing and snotting.  He took 2/3 weeks to get back to 'normal' but he has given it to our other 2 cats! :unwell: Arrrghhhhhh! They are 11 and 12 and although one has it very mildly and seems ok; Jarvis, the other, is taking longer to recover.  I know antibiotics don't work but is there anything other than goats milk and chicken (he's being spoilt cos he's poorly) that I could do to make him feel better?  Poor little mite.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Cat flu
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:38:57 pm »
Antibiotics may help if he has a secondary infection in his upper airways. It may be best to get him checked.
Steamy bowl with a tiny bit of Vicks rub or karvol will help with blocked ocular and nasal passages too ( blocked noses stop cats eating as they want to check it by smelling before consuming) slightly warmed sardines in tomato sauce also helps stimulate appetite.
I definately advise vet check as antibiotics may well be needed in his case.  Hope they are all well soon  :bouquet:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:47:22 pm »
Milk aggravates the mucous membranes so you might find it better to ease up on that whilst they are poorly ;)
I find a treat of tinned sardines warmed up is usually a bit hit. When they are snotty they can't smell as well but the sardines seem to do the trick :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:54:02 pm »
And I'm sure you've already got them in a lovely cosy warm spot - box with fluffy fleece, hot water bottle, etc?

Best wishes to them  :bouquet: and  :fc: for a speedy and full recovery
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 12:18:57 am »
Thank you all. Jarvis is scoffing his normal food again and then KC walked in and started sneezing  :unwell:.....here we go again.  Me a while Macduff (the rescue) is fit and we'll and settling in now he's dispersed his germs!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 12:11:48 pm »
We had some rescued kitties last year (3 in total over a period of months). Their flu has never completely gone. Eye run occasionally and there's still occasional sneezing although it's lessened. It's like our coldsore virus, any time their immune system gets depressed (stress etc) it'll pop up again.

Vets will help with antibiotics for secondary infection as others have mentioned.

Cotton ball dipped in warm water is good for wiping away gunk from eyes and nose. We also locked them in the bathroom with us while we showered for the steam. Our vet has suggested Optrex for one who's eyes still seem quite red.

Hope yours get better soon.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:00:33 pm »
Awwww, I had heard that if they get it v young they can suffer from the effects for quite a while, if not forever as you say.  Although this boy is over a year there is no doubt he isa young boy and to be honest I hadn't thought that maybe this wasn't his first attack.  It the first for my middle agers though, bless them.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:04:33 pm »
Yep, what's your wee one's history? My 3 young ones were from a feral colony on a farm, my older cat was 4 when we got the kittens and was up to date with vaccinations, but there are so many strains about that she didn't have full protection. I can say though that with her she doesn't have it cropping up as much at all. No sneezes since the first instance and very rarely a runny eye. Hopefully your older ones will bounce back well too.

Good luck!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS