Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Ardennais sheep  (Read 2684 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
Red Ardennais sheep
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:43:57 am »
Hello,  Yesterday was an odd day. After recovering from the worst hailstone storm in this region for over 50 years , I decided I needed cherring up. Some folk eat chocolate for comfort, I buy sheep....

My younger son kindly searched through a local newspaper at my request. I asked him to find some sheep for sale locally. I had been thinking for some time about opening up another field for more sheep.

He phoned an advert only to discover it was someone the other side of the village.

I went around  and there was the usual motley collection of animals. Then I spotted in a bottom field sheep I did not know they had.  Pure race Belgain Ardennais reds. The couple were reducing their flock from 80 to around 15 , but it did not inlcude the Belgian reds.  My task was long and at times difficult but the end result was I now have three ' reds ' all ewes, and am 180 euros lighter, not a bad deal though, as I see them for sale at 125e a lamb. I wanted more but I ran out of steam in the negotiations !

At some stage I now need to buy a ram, but that can wait a little while. Their ram was not for sale.

Here are some photos of the beasts in question. Its just a link not me or the neighbours.

Their characteristics are as follows, tough, and able to withstand the cold winters here ( last winter we had -21c for 7 nights in the trot ) will graze on low land, and can survive on minimal food in winter. Apparently they eat less than the average sheep, and this reflects in their slighter body.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

http://www.schaens.be/mouton-ardennais-roux.html
Kevin in Belgian Ardennes

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Red Ardennais sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:53:14 am »
fascinating breed they remind me very much of the solognote.

http://www.roussel.nl/francais/nieuws.php
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »
Blimey !   They look the same or at least close relatives !!

kevin

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:42:00 pm »
wow that is the first time ive seen that breed, im gonna add them to my wish list for next year
GEM. X

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:18:38 pm »
Very beautiful sheep - delicate and ladylike!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS