Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hen off her legs,what to do?  (Read 3055 times)

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
hen off her legs,what to do?
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:05:11 am »
  ???
I have some hybrids, just about 30 Weeks old now I reckon.they haven't been laying since I got them, but just this week 2 eggs a day so I'm hopeful they will all start soon!
But....
This morning I heard a kerfuffle in the run, which is netted & totally wired so nothing can get in. I thought they must have been spooked by the high wind or moving hedge our something so I ignored for a minute or two. Then as the noise died down I could hear one in distress, so shoes on & out to the run.
Everyone seemed calm,&I spotted one lying in the wet, an odd behaviour mid-storm! I went over to her, she seems unable to walk, or even stand for more than a second. I carried her in & placed her on a perch, she promptly fell off.
She has no signs of injury, her eyes are bright & no mucky bum.to look at her sitting there she looks perfectly healthy.but when prodded to her feet she stumbles & falls back down.
I can isolate her within the shed, but the others are leaving her alone so I'm not sure ill do that even.
ANY IDEAS WOULD BE WONDERFUL PLEASE. Is this a contagious state? If hate to lose any,I love my hens & have kept chickens for 20 years.

Mel

Re: hen off her legs,what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:31 am »
First thing which springs to mind could be Mareks unfortunately,although are you sure she is not egg bound-she could have a large one up inside and it may affect her walking?

Are you able to take a photo at all?when she falls down,does she lay to one side,she's not star gazing at all?

I had one hen last year whom could not stand, her name was Sal,unfortunately I lost her recently,I found out that she had a stroke,she could not stand properly without using her wings to balance,I nursed her back to normality though she always wobbled afterwards,but recently,she had another and was in a right state so I had to let her go :'(

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »
If she has been lying in the wet, you need to get her dry otherwise she will just be brought down.  Just keep her dry and warm for now and feed her nutritious bits and bobs  :innocent:   Coming in and out of lay is always a stressful time for chickens and it can knock them.  Just do the very basics and see how she goes.  It may not be mareks, she could simply be injured. If she looks bright eyed then this may be so.  injuries take a while for chickens to get over, even a simple strain.  I have seen a few young pullets, standing badly because of cockerel damage, the took about a week to 10 days to recover. Just watch her carefully :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:23:26 pm »
Sounds to me she was attacked if you heard a kerfuffle.  If she is still alive take her inside in the warm,  Dry her off, put her in a box of straw or other bedding,  and give her titbits(mealworms, bread with honey,) to stimulate appetite, and make sure she drinks.  Otherwise you'll lose her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mel

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:07:49 pm »
Has she been bitten?

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:59:53 pm »
She wasn't attacked, the run is intruder proof. I thought she maybe had a stroke,aas she is vaccinated
But she moved by mid morning,& was lost in the flock so I couldn't tell which one she was! Ill be keeping an eye on them all .but, she was recovered.weird stuff!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:31:47 am »
Have you got a cockerel in with them? ...... over zealous treading ?????

Or ...... very dominant/aggressive top hen ????

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 04:59:37 pm »
We had a Leghorn bantam lying on the floor one morning in the classic Mareks pose, one leg forward one back and paralysed. I bought her in and kept her warm. Within a few hours she was standing and 6 months later shows no sign of her problem. I think she was trampled in the morning rush for the open pop-hole!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS