Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Asters, do they reeally need replanting yearly?  (Read 1961 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Asters, do they reeally need replanting yearly?
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:13 pm »
I have justread that asters need to be lifted every year and only the outer sections used again.  Is that true?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Asters, do they reeally need replanting yearly?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:32 am »
My Asters spread like wildfire and I cant get rid of them! You must have a delicate kind!

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:52:09 am »
I read it in "The Flower Expert" book.  It states, " Aster Michaelmas Daisy.  "All types apart from A. amellus need lifting every other year and the centre of the clump discarded.  Seems a trifle labour intensive to me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:32 pm »
Michaelmas daisies are a bit different to asters in general, many of which are annuals.

The reason I can think of for lifting and dividing Michaelmas daisies every alternate year (not every year) would be that they have a tendency to get mildew if overcrowded. The best new bits will be found around the outside of the old plant.   Most garden perennials need to be lifted and divided about every three years, but that is just 'best practice' and the things will survive perfectly well if you just divide them when you have time or if they start to look a bit peaky.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS