Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaners feeding  (Read 3906 times)

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
weaners feeding
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:45:27 pm »
hi i hvae just weaned  all my pigglets off iam trying to work out the feed requirments for them each as my sows rasion has just reduced down to  4 kg to regain some weight back on them  then ill drop it to 1.5 - 2 as i substatue it wth fresh veg and lotls of it lol they love it
as for the weaners what amount should i feed iam feeding adlib at the mo  with in reason with some veg and they are doing well
 all advice welcomed

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: weaners feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:20:52 pm »
Hello,

We wouldn't feed our weaners any more than a quarter of their ration as fruit and veg; taking that as a quarter of the nutritional value as well. Our 8 week weaners would be on 2lbs each of pig pellets. If we put in fruit and veg as we would give 1.5 lbs of pig pellets and 2lbs (equal to 0.5 lbs) of fruit and veg. However at that age it would take them a while to get through it all.

Cheers

Gavin

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:41:57 pm »
Gavin puts it succintly and brilliantly. I generally work on numbers of scoops, as I have no idea of the weights, but am feeding as I always have done, which seems to work. Think you should follow gavins' advice.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:42:45 pm »
Hi,
I allow my weaner's to ad-lib feed and also throw in a selection of fruit and veg three or four times a week to vary their diet - but keep an eye out for bullying by larger piglets and make sure they are all getting their fair share - I breed Gloucester Old Spots and Tamworths but always keep them apart as they seem to grow at different rates (I find Gloucesters are much quicker). When they reach month 4 I separate into groups with a maximum of four to a group. All our pigs are free range and are slaughtered at around seven months or when they achieve a live weight of around 70/75kg and are then sold as pork joints or made into sausages, bacon, pork pies, black pudding, etc for sale through our Farm Shop.

regards Farmer

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:37:17 pm »
I'd agree feed ad-lib with a 18% protein diet or higher (pigs need a diet of 20% protein at a young age until about 50kgs, then it decreases to around 16-18% protein, though if its a breed that turns to fat quickly then 18% protein would be fine). Its about 3lb of fruit and veg to 1lb of nuts.
Traditional pigs dont start laying fat until around 45-50kgs so up until this point your ok to ad-lib feed, though some of the modern breeds wont start laying down the fat till nearer 70kgs and more. As up until these weights the feed is going into growth of muscles and other important areas.
You can feel pigs to check on their condition, feel lighlty around their shoulders, spine, and hips if you can feel them then they are ok, if you can see them poking out then either increase feed or continue on ad-lib, if you have to press hard to feel the bones then they are overweight, reduced the feed.. if you have to push soo hard the back bends then they really need to go on a diet.
Ours pigs were going through about 5-6kgs a day each when put on growers feed at 12 weeks (should have been 10 weeks when we first bought them in). We reduced their feed down to 4.5kgs each, then 3kgs each by 20 weeks, and for 3 days only went on to 1.5kgs to reduce some fat, but will now be on 2-3kgs a day till slaughter (in 4 weeks time).
When on ad-lib they dont squeal for food, but once its reduced they will.
Dont restrict when they are young thats when they are doing the most growing and need it for their young bodies to build on.

Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »
Interesting stuff. Anybody have experience of feeding bruised/rolled barley? We may be able to do this and it will be considerably cheaper, however the problem may lie in the protein %. Barley on it's own will only be 10-11% protein. Mix in some 40% to bring it up to 16/18/20% ?? What do you think?
Thanks, Johnny
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:46:54 am »
I always worry about feeding just one cereal.  I would balance it with a half ration of compound pig nuts to avoid mineral and vitamin deficiency.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS