Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PIGS OR NO PIGS  (Read 6950 times)

Amanda12670

• Joined May 2009
Re: PIGS OR NO PIGS
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:34:18 am »
  Free pigs !

Hello All !

I am looking fo a good home for my 2 Kuney Kune pigs... I bought these beautiful creatures with the intention of raiseing my own meat.... however I have ended with lots of piglets and no heart to  kill / eat them.. I end up giving them away to friends, this is driving my husband round the bend ! He is from a farming background and I admit Im soft ... and there is nothing wrong in raising your own meat, infact it is so much better for the animal..however I cannot help the way I am, I buy free range British pork instead .

The boar is 18mth old, great father !

The sow is 2 yrs old..proven mother !

I live on a smallholding in West Wales ... for more info plz call me on 07800596636

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:55:04 pm »
Why not keep these two and sell the piglets as weaners to others - that way you are not killing them directly fro your own use, you get the fun of having them, and they pay for their own keep.  If I had more than just a large garden that's what I'd do.  Your husband being in farming will have the contacts you need to sell them, and it will satisfy his farming instincts too!  Simples, as someone or thing regularly says  ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jeffrey_barnfarm

• Joined May 2009
    • http://www.fac53.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 02:34:06 pm »
How about post and rail? Any good?
Again, plenty of that knocking around here, easy to maintain, strong and sturdy. lower the heights as needed to 6 inch 12 inch and possibly a 3rd rail higher.
Dont think there would be the need to electrify then either, add a gate post.
Any thoughts?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 04:07:54 pm »
Hi post and rail, mine would scratch on it, wriggle under it, or just walk through it.  Hilary walks through anything in her way, that included a barn door, and various fencing.  Electric just about does it for her.

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 10:40:32 pm »
My most successful fencing, after three years with pigs, is a wire fence with an electric fence just inside it. The fence is sheep netting with 6" square holes and the posts are made from lengths of 2"x2" from a builders supplier. I sharpened the poles and just tapped them into the ground and then stapled the wire-netting on. The electric fence is a single strand of the tape type, battery powered.
I think when the pigs see the fence and get their first shock from the electric, they accept that they can't get through. So far I've had no escapes and the whole lot can be taken down or moved quite easily. I take away the battery for charging every few days and they don't know it's off. Instead of a gate I have a stairs on each side, made with six 9" blocks (3,2,1 on each side). Braces and a belt, I suppose.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS