Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone eat veal?  (Read 12332 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Does anyone eat veal?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:04 am »
Years ago, when I worked on  jersey dairy farm, the boss decided to keep a jersey bull calf from good breeding.  However by the time it was about 9-10 months old it wasn't safe to enter a field it was in. (it had been hand fed as a calf).  It soon was dispached!     So go carefully SallyintNorth.   Maybe castrate.... or trial rose veal for us?
Aye, Linda, dairy bulls can be a bit of a handful - if she has a bull calf, he'll be castrated before he's 3 months old. 
Thanks for the concern!  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 01:25:57 pm »
All I have to say about Veal is Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

deepinthewoods

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »

All I have to say about Veal is Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

could you expand and explain?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 07:41:16 pm »
I've never eaten it. Because of the crates.
I can see the argument about pink veal.
But what does it taste like?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:38 pm »
bliss.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:52 pm »
the crates have not been used in the UK for many years - you need to get some to eat then you can say with conviction I don't like it or I like it..

people need to think for themsleves and not follow ...................

when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

deepinthewoods

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »

the thing is, there is no argument about pink veal, its a no brainer. its a waste not to eat it, verging on the immoral!! :D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 08:40:35 pm »
i'd certainly try it given the opportunity

;D ;D ;D :cow: :cow: :cow: ;D ;D ;D 

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 09:12:37 pm »

;D

It's like nothing else really.  If you have escalope of veal (which is the best and most expensive) it is very tender and more chicken/pork like, but softer in texture.  The cheaper parts usually get made into Osso Bucco which is basically stew, and apparently you can roast shoulder as you would pork, it certainly looks like pork meat when cooked. I quite fancy buying some more now...

princesspiggy

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:58 pm »
i grew up with the rspca publicity about veal crates etc. but i now would happily eat pink veal. shame to waste a life at day one.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:51 pm »

;D

It's like nothing else really.  If you have escalope of veal (which is the best and most expensive) it is very tender and more chicken/pork like, but softer in texture.  The cheaper parts usually get made into Osso Bucco which is basically stew, and apparently you can roast shoulder as you would pork, it certainly looks like pork meat when cooked. I quite fancy buying some more now...

In the days when veal was white and before I found out how the calves were reared, I used to roast shoulder regularly - very tasty.  Haven't had it since I found out about the crates.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:25 pm »
what does it taste like?  ;D Well I could say it tastes like chicken ( as does all "new food") but I am afraid it tastes like veal. ;D

Sorry I could not resist the quip.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 12:31:31 pm »
In the early 90s I used to frequent a pub in Exmoor which had an extensive and wonderful menu.  (The Black Venus in Challacombe.  It's changed hands a couple of times since then - but the current imcumbents are worthy owners :) )

Anyway, back in the 90s, when Kempf had it and 3 other Exmoor inns, he had an enormous range of meats and sauces, all of which were wonderful.  One of the meats was veal.  The first time I went to the Black Venus, I dropped one of their comment cards in their box, saying that if their veal was English, they should say so.  The next time I went, the menus had been updated to squeeze " - English veal" in! :)  Of course I felt obliged to then order it - and very nice it was too.  :) 

And yes, it tasted like veal.  :D  Before we all knew about the crates (in the 70s), Vienna Schnitzel was a favourite of mine.  Then, once we heard about the crates, I wouldn't eat veal - and preferably tried to not be at a table where anyone else was eating veal either, with the fervour and passion of a teenager  ::)   So it was lovely to be able to eat it again when I found somewhere serving veal that was absolutely definitely English, and hence had not been crated.

It's a subtle flavour, as you'd expect from a young meat, very tender and melts-in-the-mouth.  I think Vienna Schnitzel (basically pan-fried in breadcrumbs) probably is one of the best ways to cook it- seals in the flavour.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS