Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig has a swollen right ear  (Read 3044 times)

eastleicspig

• Joined Jul 2012
Pig has a swollen right ear
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:53:18 am »
Pig has a swollen right ear and I'm not sure what to  do. I can only assume that he's been scrapping with his brothers and had his ear bitten and is now infected, although I can't see any wound seeping or any scab

To describe what it looks like; the swelling is now between a golf and tennis ball in size weighing down th ear and seems to be quite hard

He came over to me after I had fed them whilst there was still plenty of food to be had which was strange and thats when I noticed.

I gave him extra (read some) food as he was unwilling to get into the mix and play the game with the others

What do you guys reckon?

HappyHippy

Re: Pig has a swollen right ear
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:10:50 am »
Is it hot ? That would indicate an infection.

I'd be temped to give it a good clean and if you have any antiseptic/antibiotic spray use some of that on it.

If he seems well enough in himself and doesn't have a temperature or off his food/water then just keep an eye on him and see how he goes, if any of the above changes talk to your vet and consider a jab of antibiotic/antihistamine to try and clear it up. DON'T be tempted to squeeze or lance it !
HTH
Karen

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:46:58 am »

eastleicspig

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:54:58 am »
Thanks both, I'll keep an eye on him he's taking the one way journey on the 1/11/12 so as long as he doesn't get any worse then I'll leave it

Thanks again

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 01:14:48 pm »
Thanks both, I'll keep an eye on him he's taking the one way journey on the 1/11/12 so as long as he doesn't get any worse then I'll leave it

Thanks again
If you can hold/corner this pig just lance it at its base with a sow needle untill it has drained(do not cut the skin as it may well become infected). Repeat if necessary.
This is the best way to deal with a hematoema. :idea: :thumbsup: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS