Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wether lamb  (Read 4786 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
wether lamb
« on: October 13, 2012, 09:07:19 pm »
have 'adopted' a wether lamb with a deformed back leg but manages quite nicely to trundle about the croft and is quite content despite his affliction. My question is, what do I do with him long term? No use for tupping I suppose as he surely can't support his weight on his good back leg but am growing quite attached to him. He's still relying on his 2 bottles of milk a day (thanks to our goat!)
any advice?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: wether lamb
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:17:37 pm »
/he won't be any use for tupping anyway if he's a wether :D :D
Tup companion? That's what I'd have him for ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:20:26 pm »
personally id eat him, and choose a fit and healthy one for a pet, if thats what ur wanting.
 :wave:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 09:28:21 pm »
don't have any other sheep, just borrowed him from mum & dad as company for the goat until we get her some new friends. Can't see dad wanting him back anyway so maybe just keep him for a pet I suppose? must admit he has an awful bonny face
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »
There is nothing wrong with keeping a wether for a pet if that is what you want to do. Don't let anyone bully you.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:08:31 pm »
If I had any land I'd probably end up one of those people given all types of cast offs  ::) 

In your position, if I'd grown attached and couldn't part, it would give me a better excuse to get a few more for company  :innocent:  and try to make them pay for their keep somehow  ???

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:43:41 am »
just to check you have your paperwork sorted. as you may have forgotten for 1 sheep. his he in pain or struggling if so wethers make nice meat and an excellent rug. if he his ok then of course he can be a bet they can be very friendly. however 1 sheep by itself is not the best maybe get an other rescue sheep to keep him company.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:06:07 am »

... I`f it was me - I would just carry on with what you are doing , with some TLC the little chap should put some weight on and grow....... and you can decide later, as to if he goes in the freezer, or just hangs around as a pet. :sheep:

+ points..if you do keep him, you will get a fleece off him in the summer -for craft work.
....... and soft hands from cuddleing him! :sheep:   :eyelashes: :innocent: 

Tilly  :wave: 

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:14:06 am »
wasn't planning have ANY sheep, everyone here has sheep including my parents so I am well aware of the work involved but made an exception as I needed company for the goat but she has 2 new friends arriving today so that's that problem solved.
Mum kept the lamb back from the sales when the rest went and my youngest son has bottled fed it since birth so its very friendly. He seems happy enough for the time being so will just wait and see I suppose but not having anymore more sheep, already got pigs, goats and chickens!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:16:35 am »
If he's fine with the goats, you could keep him for a pet if you want to.

He'll be hard to send to the butchers, having hand-reared him, but that's what should happen if you decide you don't want to keep him any more (rather than pass him on).

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 12:00:10 pm »
nothing wrong with pet sheep, i was more concerned with his disability.is it likely to get worse with wear and tear, as he gains weight?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 12:16:45 pm »
according to mum when he was born he was never able to put his leg down,(possibly displasia?) and now just carries it, its not dragging, think what your own leg looks like when you are hopping then you'll get the picture. Other option would be I suppose to amputate it so he's no carrying it but I'm off the mind to leave him be for the time being.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS