Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geraniums  (Read 2692 times)

Branleur

• Joined Oct 2012
Geraniums
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »
We are going away over the winter period for 3 months and I'm wondering how I should keep about 15 terrace and window ledge boxes  of geraniums to try and conserve them until spring?  We don't have a greenhouse, so should we put them in the cellar or try to arrange them in the house close to a window where they would get light and sunshine (when available!) We could arrange for someone to call by and give them water if that were necessary?  Thanks.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Geraniums
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:17:12 pm »
Geraniums are so cheap I would just get shut and plant new. You could , if you mean wild geraniums, to just plant them out in the garden to take their chances.If you mean Pelargoniums(sp), the pot plant type, dig them up , give them to a charity shop and buy new in three months

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 08:20:47 pm »
put them in some sand in a cool frost free place and allow to dry out... they will grow back again in the spring

Ian

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:06:02 pm »
We are going away over the winter period for 3 months and I'm wondering how I should keep about 15 terrace and window ledge boxes  of geraniums to try and conserve them until spring?  We don't have a greenhouse, so should we put them in the cellar or try to arrange them in the house close to a window where they would get light and sunshine (when available!) We could arrange for someone to call by and give them water if that were necessary?  Thanks.

I've taken some of mine into the greenhouse. Agree with other comments that they are cheap to buy, however plants that can survive over winter often give a better showing the following year imho as they are sturdy and stronger plants so worth keeping.

Branleur

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:10:33 am »
do I need to cut them back before bringing them inside or just let the leaf die on the plant?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:13:49 pm »
ideally you would just take off any yellowing leaves as the die back.. but as you will be going away for 3 months I would snap the tops off just below the growing tips and take all the leaves off... the tops could have been used as cuttings but then they would need to be wateredso..

note there will be some that don't survive this way but you should have about 75% will grow back

Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS