Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milk yield dropping too fast?  (Read 7113 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
milk yield dropping too fast?
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:19 am »
Our milking nanny has been producing usually 2 litres of milk per day but in the last week that's dropped to about half a litre.
She has a concentrate mix supplemented with alfa in the morning, a full hayrack throughout the day then another couple of scoops of mix etc at night. She seems to be eating plenty and has a good appetite.
anyone have any suggestions as to why the milk yield has fallen so quick?  :-\
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: milk yield dropping too fast?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:05:24 am »
She's trying to dry off. The length of daylight hours tells goats its autumn, and is why she is beginning to dry up. She is preparing her body to become pregnant again. Are you milking her once a day or twice? Don't drop her to once a day if you want her keep producing through the winter. It does sound as if it will be a struggle to keep her milking right through.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:21:23 am »
This is exactly what is happening to my milker - its been a sudden decline and from my point of view, a relief!   :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:30:56 am »
Can someone tell Enid this please? Daft bugger won't dry off ::) :goat: :goat:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:54:06 am »
All ours are dropping off now, two have come in season and are shouting all day , we won't be mating them this year to give them a rest after tripplets and twins last spring, We have 4 visiting nannies waiting to be covered, 2 of our own maidens to cover , 3 bt's turning up soon from Pollished Arrow, if he still needs our services. and 2 of our bts + 2 pure toggs ,
the yield has gone down from 15Lts to about 6Lts in the last few days.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »
great thanks for that everyone, milking once a day at the moment. Is it worth trying to milk twice a day to keep her producing for a bit longer? not planning to put her in to kid this year.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:45:26 pm »
All of ours have dropped drasticly in the last week , They are all milking through some into their second year so looks like we may have to kid more of them than we wanted too  :-\
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »
Mine has dropped from 2 pints a day to 1 1/4 pints a day over the last three weeks.   I do plan on getting her in kid this autumn but hope the milk won't drop any more this winter, until I have to dry her ready for kidding.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 04:46:36 pm »
great thanks for that everyone, milking once a day at the moment. Is it worth trying to milk twice a day to keep her producing for a bit longer? not planning to put her in to kid this year.
If she has not kidded this last spring (or only had a single) you would be better to put her back in kid, with the amounts you saying she is giving she may not last all winter. If she has kidded this year and you are milking ony once a day, I wold continue with that, I wouldn't have thought that goung back to twice a day milking would increase her yield anymore...
But my ladies have also decided it's winter, yields have dropped, especially for the girls runing through.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:47 pm »
This answers a question for me, too.  Mine have dropped quantity drastically in a short time in spite of eating well, looking well etc.  I will keep on milking while it makes sense but perhaps they are expecting a hard winter and conserving their resources.  I suspect animals know more than we credit them for.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:39:07 pm »
Ellie is still going great guns, Rowan is doing her best to dry off and I am doing my best not to let her  :D

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »
This may be a stupid question but other than the billy collar (which is winging its way to me), how do you tell they are in season physically? Same as dogs?   :innocent:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 07:26:59 pm »
This may be a stupid question but other than the billy collar (which is winging its way to me), how do you tell they are in season physically? Same as dogs?   :innocent:
Sticky backend, swishing their tail, shouting without any other reason (some don't), mounting each other, being obnoxious at milking time, dropping milk yield just before...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:20:46 pm »
Mine flick their tails, shout their heads off and their milk yield drops the day before.

They've never mounted each other (i know other people's goats do) and it would be hard to tell if Ellie was being more obnoxious.....no, that's unfair, but she has 'opinionated' days which are not related to being in season  ;)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:26:38 pm »
Sticky backend, swishing their tail, shouting without any other reason (some don't), mounting each other, being obnoxious at milking time, dropping milk yield just before...
lol with some of mine i can answer yes to all of those signs
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS