Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 3762 times)

mark3844

• Joined May 2009
Hi!
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:28:22 pm »
Hi

I'm a non-owner, (yet) for want a better term.  We've had a dream for a number of years, which is to have a small holding, a better way of life, to put some effort in to what the environment gives me and to give my kids a country upbringing.  I would also prefer to work hard and feel that what I get back is worth it! We (the family) would like to get back to our country upbringing.  However, we're very novice and are reading like there's no tomorrow (well there is, just a much greener one). 

In summary we really want to move to a small holding, having had a country upbringing, but have little real knowledge, but are researching and trying to learn as much as we can before deciding to make the leap!  When we do we would like to make a positive impact.

If anybody could recommend anything, advice, good courses, ideas, then we're all ears.

Kindest regards

Mark and family

mark3844

• Joined May 2009
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:08 pm »
We're currently North East Hampshire, but are looking to move anywhere!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 09:43:42 pm »
hiya from central belt scotland,
if you want anywhere pretty be award you have to pay big buck for it lol

Linz

mark3844

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:53:06 pm »
Somewhere productive and rural and id be happy.  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:04:21 pm »
I don't know about where you are but I moved from Aberdeenshire a year ago.  I had 10 acres, a brand new (built it myself) 4 bed bungalow, landscaped garden, large three part barn(pretty old and needed work) - sold it for £310K and couldn't even get a 3 bed cottage and 2 acres for that in Central Scotland.  Anything over an acre is fair game for horses with silly money from Glasgow and Edinburgh.  So I have a slightly smaller older, not as well built, bungalow with an acre of garden for not much less than that, with a road one side and a railway the other.  But I've settled well and made lots of friends, I'm glad I jumped when I did, it would be so much more difficult to sell up now.  I wish you the very best for your future, the country is the best place for kids.
Annie(AKA GrannieAnnie!)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:08:15 am »
Hi - I was like you and wanted to move from the city, but I went the whole hog and moved to Ireland. I am in the south east so weather is quite good - lots of rain but not much frost at all and never really freezing. The land is green and there are some real bargins - small holding are almost being given away.  Schooling is great for kids and everyone tries to help you, sometimes even if you think you don't need any help.  I was asking locally if anyone had a second hand sit on lawnmower i could buy and the next day when I was home from work I had a tractor in my field and no more grass!!! Yes you have to watch yourself because you can throw yourself into the country life very quickly and often like me forget there is life off the land, but hey it is amazing. Also paper work is less of a hassle!

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:10 pm »
Hi and welcome,

We moved from Bristol 7 years ago to live the greener life in Brittany France.

Hope you fulfill all your dreams, keep us posted.

Carole

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:35:20 pm »
Hi and welcome from Alloa.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »
Hi from Argyll!!

I've got a great plot with 5 acres and planning permission for sale!!!

Great area for kids, only a mile from the water!!

Its just a shame I'm 27 miles from a chinese take-away.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 11:47:40 pm »
hi and welcome

well, once you figure out your budget - buy as much land as you can

despite being in scotland, i'd suggest you go as far south as you can - the warmer weather is your best friend!!! I uite fancy france - much cheaper than the uk and sounds like much less hassle too.

there isn't too much to learn - in spring, chuck seeds in, add water, watch grow - it really is that easy and it's fantastic to watch

animals are a different story, but the thing is, you generally have plenty time from when you sow a seed until it pops it's head through and you have to start looking after it - so plenty time to read. Act now, think later.

good luck

mark3844

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 09:57:18 pm »
Hi all

Thank you for your positive comments.  For a bit more info, I  currenlty live on the north Hampshire/ Surrey border and will not be buying here, (no spare millions here!).  We're positive for a move anyway.  My wife has a job which is a national job albeit she couldnt just transfer where as my job is transferable nationally, (not Scotland with ease )  I wonder by the last line of reply is Lizmar has knowledge!

We would be looking to probably find a job for one of use for an income of sorts with a small income and some self sufficency from the land.  If the plot had scope (I have good DIY skills) we'd like to push for a holiday let income.  There are some fairly passionate reasons for this part, but it also has to make finacial sense.

In summary we would like to work hard, live well and give our family the best, in a country way!

Clarkie

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 08:11:00 am »
Good luck, keep searching, something always turns up, usually when you dont expect it.

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 11:45:53 am »
What sort of work are you looking for?  Sorry a bit nosey I know, but its not always what you know but who you know, that's how I tend to get my posts - I'm in health management!! Yes not quite small holding etc, but it pays very well over here - so I suffer in silence!!

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:59:26 pm »
We moved here to Lincolnshire to have a quiet life with a few hens etc.  Property is cheaper then most places and smallholding abound. The problem is that we have never been so busy. It's impossible not to get involved in the community. We love it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS