Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting involved with cattle - Northern Ireland  (Read 2710 times)

A Jackson

• Joined Jun 2009
Getting involved with cattle - Northern Ireland
« on: October 11, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »
Good afternoon all,

Any members online from Northern Ireland? Would be interested to discuss the ways of getting around the red tape involved with keeping a couple of cattle.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Getting involved with cattle - Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:22:31 pm »
hello from Central Scotland

we don't have huge numbers of members from Northern Ireland so a reply might take some time.

good luck and i hope you find a way to keep some cattle...

A Jackson

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:12:43 pm »
Many thanks....I will wait in hope that someone will jump out of the local area!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:27:02 am »
Welcome  :wave: from a very wet Carnoustie  :gloomy:

I agree with Lill - tiresome though much of it is, the regulations are there to protect consumers and livestock. We keep a few cattle and tbh, it's not too bad. CPH number, which we had anyway; herd number; tagging, but that's a once only and cattle don't seem to ship tags the way sheep do; movements can be done easily on line; herd register and medicine book.

Health issues like TB and BVD, your vet will keep you right.

If you aren't moving a lot of cattle around frequently, it's not hard - the hardest bit is remembering to do stuff because you don't do it very often. :)

A Jackson

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »
Thank you very much indeed Rosemary. My main concern is the insistence that one has a crush on site before they will issue you with a herd number.

All best

Antony

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:58:19 pm »
i wonder if this post will get pulled like the 1 i posted this morning  due to forum members thinking it was robert that was posting on my account. anyway i had suspected that the red tape would have involved restraining the cattle for routine testing but on this forum you can never assume anything having worked with cattle beforeand even with a decent cattle crush you still need fixed races to channel the cattle thorough it. this is basic health and safety requirements and really wish that the same were applied in scotland. vets and ministry officials can refuse to treat or test your animals if it is their opinion your facilities are dangerous and could result in injury. to skimp on a safety issue is not conducive with having the animals welfare and your health at the fore front and welcome to the forum from a dryer central scotland than what it was when i last posted.  :farmer:
dan it is LILL that is posting here i cant be bothered with the punctuation stuff so from now on there will only be full stops and of course my wee farmer friend or would you prefer mrs angry  :rant: as i have included this in some recent posts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS