Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have donkeys!!  (Read 11571 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: I have donkeys!!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 12:34:10 am »
Oh they're lovely  :love: Got the good ears too  ;D

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:10 am »
I love Donkeys, Chewing wood does seem to be a down side with them though, our 3 chew all of the fence rails, gates and the stable kick boards are vanishing at a very fast rate even though they have access to unlimited hay and loads of toys
Graham

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 12:39:51 am »
Donkeys need a higher fibre diet than horses, so mine are on a high fibre feed ......put a big branch in the field ......chewing continues.  Moved on to the stable now, and the gates.  Never caught them actually chewing yet.  Wonder if it happens when they are waiting for me to arrive with their feed.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 02:07:20 pm »
Cracking! I am looking for a pair myself up here in Scotland you have made me very envious!
There are often donkeys at the thainstone mart rare breed sales.  I worry about them going for meat, and they always looked unloved.  Can't have any sadly, but I wish someone would give them a good home
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 02:43:32 pm »
I would still love a Donkey, thats a little tiny wish on my Bucket list but I know I will probably not ever get any, they need a good shelter and looking after, I really love the idea of a Donkey...me off with my dogs and my donkey pulling a little cart behind us!!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 06:40:40 pm »
Donkeys need a higher fibre diet than horses, so mine are on a high fibre feed ......put a big branch in the field ......chewing continues.  Moved on to the stable now, and the gates.  Never caught them actually chewing yet.  Wonder if it happens when they are waiting for me to arrive with their feed.
Just caught up with this
our 3 are terrible wood chewers. They have demolished the inside of the stable and all of the post and rail is chewed and the gates. We have to put electric fencing up to stop them and now they have started on the trees. They have at lib feed so not hungry
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:58:18 pm by sokel »
Graham

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 02:55:46 pm »
Have you gotten them to defend other livestock, or what's your plan? Best wishes.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 12:45:49 pm »
We ride and drive our ponies,  and our little old pony has retired now (mid twenties) so little cart is standing idle.  Thought it would be nice to get the donkeys going in the cart.

They are still chewing wood.  Our lease is up, and we were hoping to renew it .....owner has phoned to request a site visit.  She lives quite  a way off, so can only assume someone local has told her that all fences and gates are chewed to pieces.  We are prepared for her to say she will not renew our lease (cannot blame her).  Have tried everything to stop the donkeys chewing.  Have now painted the fences with strong fence paint, mixed with sump and engine oil ......put them in a fresh paddock with lots of grass, and next thing they have left the grass and started on the gate .....already eaten the other side of the gate, so it will probably fall apart. :)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 09:04:05 pm »
Blimey Mairi, I've given you two monsters haven't I?! They honestly never chewed so much when they were with us. I wonder why they're being such buggers with you.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 11:30:44 am »
Dunno ;D   They have mineral licks, toys, wellies, buckets to play with ...... have a fuss, plenty of walkers to pet them.  Never actually seen either of them eating the wood, but obviously they are doing it at some point .....must be 99  per cent of their time looking at the damage, until the other night.  Saw one of the donks from a distance, so could not identify the culprit, leave the grass walk over to the gate and take a chunk out of it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS