Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: introducing new rabbits  (Read 2300 times)

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
introducing new rabbits
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:24:16 pm »
my daughter has a year old doe, we were given another of similar age today .we are hoping to keep them together .i was wondering what is the best way to put them together .would it be an invasion of the original ones territory to put it in her hutch ? :bunny:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: introducing new rabbits
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »
Someone with more rabbit know how may be along soon but I would think that you should isolate the new rabbit for two or three weeks initially ..... in case of contagious disease transmitting to your pet from the new rabbit. Also check for external parasites.

I would then separate the hutch/pen with strong wire so that the rabbits can see each other but not have contact or put them in separate hutches side by side  ..... again so that they can see each other.

You should introduce ideally on neutral ground ..... otherwise there could I imagine be a serious fight.

Hope that helps. Not introduced many rabbits myself but my sister has many times and used the above approach. I think hers were all neutered though. Don't know enough about rabbits to know whether two entire females would live peacefully together.  :-\

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:13:35 am »
Two does of that age may well fight to death no matter how well you introduce them .
 The does will be going through the no baby syndrome & become very very agressive.
 two bucks raised from young are a better bet so are neutered bucks .

However if you want to try perhaps this method makes sense
 Make a split hutch with a strong rigid well fixed metal mesh screen between the two .
keep then housed like this for about three weeks and then one day remove the screen and see if they start scrapping.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:42:54 am »
thanks for the tips . its more or less what i have set up anyway although they are not side by side yet till the new one has proved to be disease free . i thought the does would be less aggressive than bucks.will post how they get on .my other daughter has a very young doe the end aim was for the three rabbits to live together in a large covered enclosure with telly tubby type hills, pipes for burrows etc (these were the orders i was given ::) )they may have to re-think there plans if the rabbits cant get along

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS