Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi, from sunny Scottish Borders  (Read 4057 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Hi, from sunny Scottish Borders
« on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »
Hi,  :wave:
I should have posted an introduction sooner, but we have had wonderful dry sunny weather,  :sunshine: so most of my time has been outside trying to catch up on all the dry weather jobs that have needed doing.
My partner and I live on a hill farm, north of Moffat, we keep a mixed flock of sheep, north country cheviots, shetlands and hebrideans, I also have quite a number of different breeds of poultry and waterfowl. We both own  border collies and our hobby is to compete in sheepdog trials.
In the future I would like to keep pigs, and a house cow, my partner is coming around to the idea of pigs, but I haven't told him about a cow yet   :innocent:
I try to grow my own veg and fruit, but this year the fruit has been a total disaster, no tree fruit, currants or raspberries, I did get a few gooseberries though.
I enjoy reading through the posts on the forum, as everyone is so helpful, I'm so glad I found this site.
Kind regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Hi, from sunny Scottish Borders
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »
Hello  :wave: from Staffordshire  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »
Hello from me in Lanarkshire  :wave:
You can't go wrong with a pig or three  ;D and well, cows are just a natural progression aren't they  :innocent: ( 'specially if you pick something small like a Shetland or a Dexter, he'd hardly even notice them  ;))

Look forward to hearing more from you,
Karen x

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:42 pm »
Hello from Yorkshire  :wave:   Love the avatar!  :dog: :dog:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carmarthenshire  :wave:  I am very jealous of your sunny weather
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:42 pm »
Hiya from a bit further north! Guess that was the last sun we'll be seeing for a while...

Here's an idea: buy a Sheltand cow - and tell you OH that you thought you were buying a sheep... Just turned out a bit bigger! :innocent: (I'd love one myself... Almost kidnapped the one at the show!  :D Would have just fitted into my garden.)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:53:03 pm »
Hi Sue, we live 4 miles from Lauder, so welcome to TAS!  We're easy peasy to find if you are passing this way on the A697, we keep livestock as described at the bottom of the message here.  Nice to have you as nearish neighbours near Moffat, a lovely place.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:54:59 pm »
Oh, get Jersey house cows - he'll love them every bit as much as you do.  (Mine does!) 

(Note, cows plural please - like most herd animals, they're not happy being singletons.  Sorry for mini-lecture on Hello thread but felt it best to say.)

A warm welcome from North Cumbria  :wave: - we too have enjoyed a few warm  :sunshine: days - at long last!

With those sheep breeds - do you spin?  :knit:  (We await a :spin: icon so have to use the  :knit: one in lieu  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »
 :wave:
Hello from down south .... where it is very grey and my SAD is kicking in!
good luck with sneaking in the new stock!

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:54:18 pm »
Hello and welcome from Durham  :wave:

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:03:23 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the warm welcome.
(Note, cows plural please - like most herd animals, they're not happy being singletons.  Sorry for mini-lecture on Hello thread but felt it best to say.)
Sally with regards the cow, was thinking of a shetland cow, and a young dexter steer, replacing the steer when the first one is slaughtered, just don't tell the OH about my plan, will have to work on him, try and make him think it was his idea, works every time :innocent:, or as Ina says I could pretend I thought it was a sheep. I have had dealings with jersey cows in the past, I lived on a dairy farm for 30 years, the ones we had were real divas, if they didn't want to do something, they didn't do it!
We got our first shetland sheep, to use to train the dogs on, then we discovered that Hebs were even better, we now have about 30 females in each flock, and no I'm afraid I don't spin.

Hello from Yorkshire     Love the avatar! 
Thats Jock, my only fully trained dog at the moment, and to me he is a super star, he does so well, despite having me as his handler!

Once again Folks thanks for the warm welcome, I just love it here.

Kind Regards
Sue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
Hi and welcome from no-so-sunny Shropshire.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie, where it's been sunny all day  :sunshine:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 06:09:37 am »
Hi from over-the-border in Cumbria, where it's been sunny and dry for days  :D

I keep Shetland sheep too, and not-very-well-trained border collies  ;D

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:18:55 pm »
Well it's sunny no more, back to rain again.
I was born and bred in Cumbria, near Penrith, only moved to Scotland 4 years ago.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS