Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time Out  (Read 3292 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Time Out
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:30:24 am »
Due to a few things I decided to have a season off from growing veg. All I have are potatoes. I felt a bit guilty at this but when I was weeding last night I thought to myself, you still have blackcurrents, strawberries and apples coming on so the ground is till producing. My pollytunnel alas is empty. the cover has done 6 summers and now needs replacing which we will do for next year when we can afford it. Money needed for other things this year. Gives me a chance to get a load of horse muck into the ground and dug over. I have planted more flowers that I brought on from seed just for a change.  Still seems odd not to have fresh veg to pick though.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Time Out
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:57:53 pm »

A way to keep empty ground from becoming a sea of weeds, is to spread a thickish layer of manure over the whole surface, then add a layer of straw, up to a foot deep.  If you have lots of cardboard put that in as a sandwich (ie between the manure and the straw) and it will slow down the perennials such as thistle, although not stop them. You could cover the lot with a tarp or black plastic if you have it, but not necessary.  Next year when you are ready to plant you will find a wonderful,  friable, clean soil, into which you can plant straight away with no digging, or minimal digging if the perennials stayed. If you are leaving the ground for longer then you need to repeat this every year as the manure and straw, and the cardboard if you used it, will have rotted clean away, and been incorporated into the soil by earthworms  :)

We have some veg areas fallow this year and have seeded them with grass.  This is cut frequently just like the lawn, which keeps down weeds.  When we decide to re-use these areas, maybe in a few years, we can simply remove the turf (stack it to rot to loam) and expose a cleanish surface below.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:40 pm »
It does the soil good to have a rest every so often.

FW, I tend to cover my beds with manure over-winter. I must try adding cardboard and straw and mine doesn't rot down fully.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:11:59 pm »
Must try this, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 05:09:24 pm »
It does the soil good to have a rest every so often.

FW, I tend to cover my beds with manure over-winter. I must try adding cardboard and straw and mine doesn't rot down fully.

If bits don't rot down fully you can rake them off and stack them to give them a bit longer to compost then use them as a mulch once your veggies are through.  But mostly the worms really get to work under the cardboard as they stay more protected over the winter.
Just modifying to add that you can plant through the rotting cardboard too as it's nearly gone by the spring.  Tends to leave unrottable stuff like parcel tape for you to clean up, so not perfect.  You can often get old cardboard boxes from outside white goods shops on dustbin day.

I don't believe in unnecessary work and am gradually converting to no-dig tricks  :garden:

Sabrina - let us know how it works.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:12:08 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:42 pm »
All the guide dog food is delivered so the sacks are in boxes. OH just put four big ones up in the loft. There will be another four at least by winter so I should have plenty.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:37:57 pm »
or cover in mustard/green manure etc and let the bees enjoy the area. think of it as a way to let any nasties die off.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 03:44:28 pm »
OH asked to keep boxes for me, thinks I am crazy but I will show him  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »
These OHs need putting in their places occasionally, Sabrina.  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS