Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Royal Norfolk Show 2013 - threatening to pull goat classes - please write/email  (Read 3060 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Hello all

I've just had a call from Diane Parker from the Norwich and District Goat Club saying that the Royal Norfolk Show are threatening to pull all the goats classes.  From what I gather the goat committee have managed to claw back a few classes and half a marquee but she is asking for goat people to please show their support and write to or email

Greg Smith, Chief Executive & Sponsorship
Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association
Norfolk Showground, Dereham Road, Norwich, NR5 0TT
Tel: 01603 731 961
greg@norfolkshowground.com

Thank you for reading!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:26:39 pm by Bumblebear »

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
do you show yourself ?

if more people do not soon start showing this will be the first of many shows to cease having goat classes, only today we were talking about how many shows used to hold goat classes that no longer do because of low entries.

peterborough show announced last week no more goats or pigs this years goats were down to 6 exhibitors the pig numbers were well up on 2011 with over 125 pigs entered, they still want cattle and sheep though
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
 I stopped showing when it needed 6 bloomin forms just for one goat!Used to show up to 13 sometimes.(And as I won't ear tag till the ears are strong enough to take it that rules out the kids
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:19:35 pm by jinglejoys »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
peterborough show announced last week no more goats or pigs this years goats were down to 6 exhibitors the pig numbers were well up on 2011 with over 125 pigs entered, they still want cattle and sheep though

Why are they cutting pigs if the entries are rising?

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
new coe stamping his mark the cattle have cattle sheds and the sheep were in the pig shed this year the rain came and washed the show away no public tents had to be costed etc etc they seem to be turning the show into a kids food learning centre with out the livestock that feeds us.

membership will fall as most people would not want to spend the day with 3 - 5 thousand kids which is the shows aim for 2013 agricultural show it is not sad really as it used to be one of the biggest in the country.

perhaps we should all contact the ceo...........i did last week no reply to my questions.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
Hi it seems that agricultural shows are no longer that !!!! They seem to just want to turn them into trade stands ,Dancing diggers and horses. I can remember back in the late 1980s when i use to show goats there would be 10 plus in a class but you look at show results now your lucky if you get more than 5. Its such a shame that things have gone this way , but we are finding the same thing in the rabbit world , they just dont make the shows enough money  and take up space that could be used for trade stands .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS