Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Movement of Pigs  (Read 3373 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Movement of Pigs
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:50:22 am »
We loaned two of our Gloucesters to a farm yesterday for Open Farm Sunday (today) as they dont have any pigs of their own.  They do have other livestock.  My query is, does the 20 day standstill apply to our pigs or can we bring them back again tonight?  The Defra site just isnt clear.  I'm assuming it's just as if we have taken them to a show and it will be alright to move them back home again but dont want to do the wrong thing.  Any ideas?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Movement of Pigs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:19 pm »
Best to phone DEFRA.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:55:27 pm »
Pigs may return from a show to the premises from which they departed for the show without triggering a movement standstill on those premises provided they are kept for 20 days after their arrival in a Defra approved isolation facility. Pigs must be isolated by themselves and not share isolation facilities with other species.

Pet pigs which are returned immediately to the holding they were moved from should be moved under a PRIMO walking licence issued by the Divisional Veterinary Manager (DVM).

Contact your local Animal Health Office, they should be able to advise you, but be aware that you should have applied for a Walking Licence before you moved them (Don't think you'll have a problem)

Good luck

Farmer
 :farmer:

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:32:34 am »
We did try phoning Defra but it was Sunday by the time we thought about it.  (Must be better prepared next time!)  Thanks Farmer, that's great. 

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:31:50 am »
We loaned two of our Gloucesters to a farm yesterday for Open Farm Sunday (today) as they dont have any pigs of their own.  They do have other livestock.  My query is, does the 20 day standstill apply to our pigs or can we bring them back again tonight?  The Defra site just isnt clear.  I'm assuming it's just as if we have taken them to a show and it will be alright to move them back home again but dont want to do the wrong thing.  Any ideas?

I am afraid the standstill stands, you cannot bring them back tonight.
Pigtails

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS