Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dreamer?  (Read 8420 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Dreamer?
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:31:51 pm »
Hi,
Name's Sam, from Whitby (North Yorks, not Merseyside) I gave up the rat-race that is IT Consultancy in order to spend time at home bringing up my daughter. I chose the Whitby area because I grew up there and have fond memories as well as plenty of friends and contacts.
I spent the summer making the house liveable and preparing a vegetable patch (all organic so far...) and planting a small orchard of 15 apple/pear/plum trees.
Having moved in at the end of october the house is still far from finished, the veg patch still hasn't been turned (rotorvator not up to the job) and the fruit trees aren't showing any signs of life.
Joined this forum looking for advice on where to start really. I need to build an additional store/workshop (to store stock for my online business which provides our bread-and-butter) and need something a little larger than the 70 cubic metres the planning authority allows your average-joe to build. I believe the regulations are different for 'farm buildings' and wondered how to go about becoming a smallholding officially and what advantages/disadvantages there are.
Cheers,
Sam

rustyme

Re: Dreamer?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:18:55 am »
Hello Sam,
            I am not clued up on all planning laws , but I think that even for a farm building you now need permision. To become a smallholding or to be more correct ...to get a holding number , it is just a matter of applying for one from the right department . The link here should tell you all you need to know:
 http://www.smallholder.co.uk/mostpopular.var.927599.mostviewed.registering_a_holding.php

Without a holding number you won't , by law , be able to keep livestock on the land ,so you really will need a holding number!  As far as disadvantages , well they know where you are once registered....lol, but without registration you wouldn't be able to function (legally) as a holding !!! Once you have your number , you will be able to get any livestock you want , along with all the paperwork . I don't know if there are any real advantages as such , just that without a number ...no animals....
          The vegetable patch ....well , there aint nothing like good old hard work ....out with the spade and fork , who needs a multi gym?      The fruit trees maybe just dormant still , all depends on the climate where you are . I think you are a bit ? colder than round where I am ( west Wales) so it may be a few weeks till they spring into life .  Hope that helps a bit......

cheers

Russ

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:17:09 am »
hey and welcome to the forums!  :)

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:49:28 am »
Hi Sam
Lucky you, I love Whitby and go as often as I can.  I rang up and got a holding number within and hour from DEFRA, then if you get any livestock ring your local county council and ask for animal health, they will then give you a flock number which goes on all of your tags. It will make little difference as far as planning is concerned though, you still need planning permission especially in a national park or an area of outstanding natural beauty such as Whitby. Ask your local parish council for a start they can tell you the likelyhood of a sucessful application and give advice without the cost.

I would not worry too much about your fruit trees yet, I am in Lincolnshire and mine are usually showing life by now but this year there is nothing. 

Regards
Rosey

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:11:46 am »
Hi Sam

Welcome!

We too got out holding number and flock numbers following a couple of quick calls. They arrived by post the next day along with lots of usefull information (and regulations).

I'm sure your orchard will come to life soon and good luck with the digging - our rotovator can cope with just about anything - I'll try and dig out the make and model (long since worn off)  :D

Maybe you could invite someone over from your local planning office for advice - 'some' of them can be quite helpful. Look forward to hearing all of your news.

Pebbles

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:45:29 am »
Hi Sam and welcome from the land of red tape.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:58 am »
hiya :)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:02:16 am »
hi, welcome. i too am a lover of whitby, my oh's family is from round there. not sure about rules and regs for adding buildings for business storage? have you looked at renting space from local farmers? or businesses. Could you use an old transport container. I also have a lot of digging to do this weekend as the ground shoiuld have thawed out.good luck.
carl

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »
Hi Sam, welcome and yes Carl's suggestion of a shipping container is a great one.  You can hire or buy and you don't need planning permission.....plus they are very very secure! :)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:14:04 pm »
Hi, Sam

Welcome to the TAS Forums. Hope you find them useful and enjoyable.

As one who works for a local authority (albeit in Scotland), my experience is that the planners are only human (and actually nice blokes here) and it's better to get them on side by keeping them consulted than trying to pull anything fast. They get you in the end.

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:16:34 am »
Hi Sam

Welcome to this great site  ;D

Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 12:49:11 am »
Thankyou all for the great welcome.
Yes Whitby is a lovely place, made even better twice a year when the Goths descend to 'brighten up' the streets and add a bit of variety. Out of season however it's a little dull and as for job prospects... Ha! I'm hoping that all my little schemes and ideas add up to a livable income.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 10:37:05 am »
Goths descend to 'brighten up' the streets

you can find more about it here (yes am a total geek lol)
linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS