Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two wheeled tractor or four wheeled rotivator?  (Read 4822 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Two wheeled tractor or four wheeled rotivator?
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:42:27 pm »
I currently have two weaners turning over some old pasture (previously grazed by ponies for many years). Once they have gone I want to turn an area 20m x 15m into a permanent planting area for fruit bushes, raspberries, rhubarb etc. The soil is a light clay and pretty sticky at the moment.

What sort of machinery should I use to till the soil ready for planting? I have been told that a 4 wheeled cultivator would be easier to use, but a two wheeled tractor has many more uses. Does anyone have experience of either, and how effective were they? I'm only 5ft 2in, but I'm reasonable strong.  :eyelashes: [size=78%]Would this make a difference in handling the machinery?  [/size]

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Two wheeled tractor or four wheeled rotivator?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »
I'm not sure what a 4 wheeled rotavator is.  My experience is of the no-wheeled garden variety like the Mantis or the two wheeled tractor which can take a variety of implements.

300m2 seems to rule out anything designed for a garden, particularly with clay.  Lightweight sounds good until you realise that rotavating is akin to a wrestling match with a machine.  Heavier machines are more of a pain to store, move around etc but their weight is your friend when fighting the soil.

I'd see what the local hire shop has and experiment.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:29:35 pm »
Have a look at this:

BCS America - Rotary Plow Attachment - www.bcsamerica.com

Perhaps you could hire one.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »
Ohoooo....... Catweazle, that does look good. Mind you, it is being used on a light looking soil. Do you know how it copes with sticky, wet clay??

smokingdragon

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Crynant Nr Neath
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »
I have a similar 2 wheel tractor with rotivator attachment a SEP 1700. It is excellent at turning over meadow but if the soil is very heavy you will have to spend time clearing out the tines. If you hit a rock then as tines are going faster than the drive wheels the tractor will lift up onto the tines and virtually take off!! That does wonders for your arm muscles.

Catweazle

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 02:56:32 pm »
Possum,  I don't have one myself but am considering buying or making one to fit my Camon rotavator.  I've seen a few YouTube videos of rotary ploughs on heavier soil and they seem to work well.  I reckon a DIY would be possible using half the axle and the differential gear from an old car.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:47:11 pm »
Bought this second hand.. happily coping with cutting through turf I couldnt get my spade more then 3 inches deep into.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:05:21 pm »
I used to double rotorvate (that's once lengthways and then once across) a plot 6 metres by 20 metres in two hours with an Ariens Jet 6 HP machine. can alter the gearing or remove two of the four tynes for tough stuff then use it every year without a massive fuel bill. plenty big enough for you Possum and about £600 new -mine is about 30 years old. Countax have the franchise in the UK.

confused

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:27:54 pm »
A great looking machine , really does look the goods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS